A batch of freshly baked Soft Vegan Cookies with Chocolate is coming your way! These chewy cookies are made out of pantry staples – no chilling required, no weird ingredients – just perfectly soft and speckled with the chocolate of your choice.
The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy-free)
- Uses only 8 ingredients
- Quick and easy to make
- Beginner friendly
- Pillowy soft and chewy
- Great with coffee, milk, or tea
- The perfect treat for lunch, or after school
Is chocolate vegan?
Yes, chocolate itself is vegan! Often dairy is added to it, but there are many brands that produce vegan chocolate. Generally Chocolate with 60% or more cocoa usually contains no dairy and is "automatically" vegan. However, always check ingredient list for hidden animal products.
Where do I find vegan chocolate?
If you want to seek out specifically vegan chocolate at the grocery store, the best place to start looking is in the natural food aisle. Overall most grocery stores should have a natural food section. If you're not sure where it's located just ask an employee.
However, you can often find "accidental" vegan chocolate hidden in the baking and candy isles too. If you are located in the United States look out for some of the following brands: Enjoy Life, Simple Truth Organic, Target Simply Balanced, or Lily’s (there are more).
Store them at room temperature in an air-tight container, like Tupperware, for up to 5 days.
How to freeze
Freeze for up to 3 month: place cookies in one layer into a freezer-safe sealable storage bag. Label with date of freezing. Squeeze out extra air and place flat in the freezer.
More vegan cookie recipes
One of my absolute favorites are these Linzer cookies. They are sandwich biscuits with a jelly filling coated in powdered sugar. So good! If you're looking for a healthier cookie, try these whole wheat ginger apple snaps. If you're still unsure, I am highly recommending you to browse through our cookie category page.
Soft Vegan Cookies with Chocolate
- Cookie sheet or baking sheet, ice cream scoop or spoon, electric mixer
- 150 g vegan butter, room temperature (1 cup)
- 200 g cane sugar (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 70 ml plant milk; eg almond, oat or soy (¼ cup)
- 350 g all purpose flour, unbleached (2 ½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ a bar of vegan chocolate, roughly chopped (around 60g - ⅓ cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 355°F. On a cutting board roughly chop chocolate until pieces have desired size and set aside. You can make them extra small or leave them a little bigger, whatever you like best.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat vegan butter and cane sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add plant milk and vanilla to your butter mix and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sieve and combine dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking soda. Add dry mixture to the creamy mixture and beat until cookie dough forms. With a spatula fold in your chopped chocolate.
- Scoop the dough with an ice cream scoop (or spoon) onto a cookie sheet or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Be sure to leave around 5 cm (2 inches) of space between the cookies.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Let them cool down for at least 15 minutes. They will look underdone when you take them out, but during their cooling down they will firm up more. If for some reason the cookies don’t spread enough, just press them a little down with a spoon after baking. Enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improving my recipes and serve you with best instructions, tips and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
Elijah Gill says
We made these with soymilk and the Enjoy Life chips and they were great! We baked some and froze the rest. Cooked from frozen they taste just as good. I think next time I will use a mix of white and brown sugar for a little more of the classic chocolate chip cookie taste. With all white sugar the recipe is almost like a chocolate chip sugar cookie, which is amazing!
I baked the cookies today and they are just amazing!
They taste really good and are easy and quick to make. I'll definitely do them again!
Thank you for the great recipe! 🙂