Tofu Tiramisu Recipe (dairy free + vegan)
This Tofu Tiramisu recipe is creamy, delicious and so addictive! It is dairy-free and eggless - turning it entirely vegan. And also nut-free. A rich, yet light dessert, that is classic and new at the same time. Instead of making vegan ladyfingers, this recipe takes a shortcut with a ladyfinger cake. Which is then soaked in a boozy coffee mixture.
Servings: 14 servings
for ladyfinger cake: 10×15 inch sheet pan, electric mixer, mixing bowl, food processor
to assemble tiramisu: 8x8" or 9x9" pan to layer tiramisu - it should be 2.5 - 3" high (20x20cm, or 23x23 cm pan that is 6.5 to 7.5 cm high)
- 330 grams cake flour (2 ¾ cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (20g)
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 170 grams organic cane sugar (¾ cup)
- 180 mililiters vegetable oil (¾ cup)
- 360 mililiters plant milk, unsweetened (1 ½ cups)
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (10ml)
- 2 packages of vanilla sugar (16g), or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 240 mililiters espresso, or strong coffee (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Marsala (Italian Dessert Wine, eg. Lombardo or Pellegrino) (30ml)
- 1 tablespoons amaretto liquor (15ml)
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder to dust on top
- 450 grams silken tofu (16 oz)
- 150 grams coconut cream, chilled overnight (5.3 oz - only use the hardened part on the top! You’ll need 1-2 cans depending on the brand)
- 2 packages of vanilla sugar (or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar (60g - add more if you want it even sweeter)
- pinch of salt
- generous spritz of fresh lemon juice
Preparing the Ladyfingers cake:
Heat oven to 180°C / 350°F and grease a 10×15 inch sheet pan (or 9×13 inches would work if needed).
In a large bowl, sieve the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk well to combine. To the bowl with the dry ingredients, pour in the oil, and mix with a fork until all dry ingredients are covered with fat. Then add plant milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract to a measuring cup and whisk together. Add to flour fat mix and whip quickly together with an electric mixer until no climbs remain. Be careful not to over mix the batter or your cake won't be soft and fluffy.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. If using a 9×13 inch pan, it will need to bake for 40 minutes or so. Check with a toothpick to ensure doneness.
Let the cake cool completely. Then slice into strips about 2cm wide, 10 cm long (1 inch wide, wide.4 inches long). You should end up with around 32 strips. Half six of the sticks.
Preparing Espresso Mixture
In a small bowl, stir together the espresso or strong coffee, Marsala, amaretto liquor, and cane sugar. Mix until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
Preparing Tofu Mascarpone
To a food processor (or blender) add silken tofu and blend until smooth. Scrape down sides if needed. Then add all other mascarpone ingredients and blend until smooth again. When using the coconut cream, make sure to only use the cream part. Discard liquid, or use in smoothies. Chill mascarpone for 1 hour, or overnight. If you need the Mascarpone quicker, stick it into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
Get out an 8x8 inch pan or tall dish. A 9x9 works too if you leave a bit of space on one side. Dip the cake strips into the espresso mixture and place a layer on the bottom of the pan. Layer on half of the mascarpone. Add another layer of espresso dipped cake pieces, then the rest of the cream, and refrigerate.