Creamy 30-minute Vegan Chicken Alfredo Recipe made with simple ingredients and easy methods. Add vegan parmesan cheese for a satisfying plant-based meal and meet all of your creamy Alfredo needs!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- 30 minute recipe
- Nut free
- Simple Ingredients
- Creamy and rich
- The ultimate comfort meal
- Make it gluten free with GF Pasta!
👩🏽🍳 How to
Let's be honest, Alfredo Sauce is unbelievably delicious! Unfortunately due to the parmesan, it's usually not even a vegetarian sauce (yup, parmesan cheese is usually not vegetarian). However, when we go plant-based we sometimes crave those indulgent meals we grew up with or used to eat. I just had to create a Vegan "Chicken" Alfredo recipe. The chick'n by the way is tempeh!
Instead of using butter and heavy cream, we will make a creamy base out of white cannellini beans, nutritional yeast, coconut milk & some seasoning! I know sounds weird at first, but believe me - once you blend it all up and cook it, it turns into an incredible plant-based cheesy Alfredo sauce!
🤔 Is Alfredo sauce Italian?
I hate to bring it to you, but the rich and creamy Fettuccine Alfredo most Americans know and love is in fact not Italian! Americans invented a whole new version of Alfredo that we know today. They made it richer, creamier, added meat and spices and formed it into the staple of American Italian cuisine. What is the Italian version then? It's simply fresh fettuccine tossed with butter and Parmesan cheese. That is by the way the version I grew up with in Germany. Not before I was in my teenage years did I discover the American version of Alfredo.
🍝 More vegan meals
Creamy Vegan Chicken Alfredo Recipe (30 Minutes)
- Food Processor, non-stick pan/skillet, pot to cook pasta
To Serve With
- 300 g pasta of choice eg: fettuccine; use gluten free pasta for GF version (10.6 oz)
- 30 g vegan parmesan eg: Violife (1 oz)
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- ½ teaspoon avocado oil, or olive oil
- 150 g diced tempeh eg: Buffalo Tempeh Strips from Lightlife (5.3 oz)
- 1 can of white cannellini beans
- 100 ml vegetable broth (⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon - 3.3 fl oz)
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 120 ml full fat coconut milk (½ cup - 4 fl oz)
- salt (or miso) and pepper to taste
- Preparation: Add pasta to a large pot of boiling, well-salted water and cook according to package instructions. Drain and cover to prevent drying.
- Fry "chick'n": Meanwhile, add avocado oil to a pan and heat. Once hot fry shallot on medium heat until translucent. Add diced Tempeh and fry until crispy. Once done, add everything to a bowl and set it aside. Wipe out the pan, so you can use it to cook the sauce in it.
- To make Alfredo sauce add beans (with bean water), vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, garlic & onion powder, Italian seasoning to a food processor and blend for around 2-3 minutes, or until smooth.
- Add blended bean mix to the pan. Then add coconut milk, vegan parmesan, and stir until combined. Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium to low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta and fried tempeh with shallot. Mix until all is covered in sauce. Serve warm and enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.