Try this easy Hummus Pasta Bake - Rigatoni pasta, tomatoes, broccoli, and spinach in a creamy and comforting hummus sauce. A vegan and SOS free recipe that is high in protein. It can be made gluten free if wished.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Whole-foods plant-based
- SOS free
- Easy and quick to make
- Healthy, yet so comforting
- Perfect weeknight dinner
Benefits of eating chickpeas and nutritional yeast
Instead of using a dairy-based cream for this pasta dish, we are using hummus. Hummus is basically blended chickpeas with some seasoning. Chickpeas are also known as Garbanzo beans. It will turn out just as creamy and comforting as a creamy dairy-based sauce. Chickpeas are full of protein, iron, and zinc, and also contain important nutrients like fiber, folate, and potassium. (source)
Additionally, we will use Nutritional Yeast for our sauce base. It's rich in protein, fiber, and other nutrients. Buying and eating fortified nutritional yeast is a great source of vitamin B12 for you! Moreover, it adds a cheesy rich flavor, that compliments the other ingredients beautifully.
What Hummus should I use?
You can use any you like! For an SOS free (salt free, oil free, sugar free) version use homemade hummus, or a brand that doesn't have any added oil or salt.
Easy Hummus Pasta Bake Recipe (vegan)
- 20x20cm / 8x8" casserole, or bigger
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (15g)
- ⅛ cup vegetable broth (30ml)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 ½ cup hummus* (250g)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (100g)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (150g)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips (15g)
- 1 cup reserved pasta water (120ml)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach optional
- 6 oz of dry pasta (eg rigatoni)** (160g)
- Italian seasoning and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- In a baking dish add nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, and miso paste whisk together. Add hummus and whisk again. Then add garlic, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes and stir around once more. Bake for 10 minutes. Pre-cook pasta in boiling water while the sauce is baking (follow package instructions, but cook 2-3 minutes shorter). Your want your pasta slightly undercooked!
- After baking, add fresh lemon juice, cooked pasta with 1 cup of pasta water, and spinach, if used, to the baking dish. Give it a good stir and bake for another 30 minutes. Check on it and stir around thoroughly every 10-15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven. Add some Italian seasoning and black pepper. Serve hot and enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.