Enjoy delicious matcha buttercream frosting that is whipped up in minutes and made with just a few ingredients. It has a wonderful earthy flavor, is firm yet easy to spread, and is entirely plant-based.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- vegan (dairy free and no eggs)
- easy to make
- whipped up in under 15 minutes
- perfect for cakes, cupcakes, cookies & co
👩🏽🍳 How to make Matcha Buttercream
To make a matcha frosting aka buttercream you only need a few ingredients: (vegan) butter, organic powdered sugar, almond extract, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt (for flavor), as well as the matcha powder. At the end of this article, you can find a detailed recipe card with an ingredient list, printing options, and more.
- Beat together butter and sugar.
- Once creamy, add extract and matcha powder and beat until combined.
- If wished add more sugar for a firmer consistency or add droplets of water to thin the frosting out. For cakes and such you want a firm buttercream that holds its shape, for cookies and such you may want a thinner consistency.
🧁 Tips and tricks
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature (especially your butter) before starting to make to give your frosting the right consistency. Take butter out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to preparing the buttercream.
- You can use either the paddle or whisk attachment of your mixer to make this buttercream. However, using the paddle attachment at the end of the process helps make a super smooth frosting that’s perfect for cakes and cupcakes.
- We recommend a quality matcha powder to get the best flavor and color.
🥣 How to store
Store Matcha Buttercream frosting is in the fridge in an air-tight container and should last you for at least 7 days. Tightly seal the container and keep the frosting far from pungent foods.
In the freezer, the frosting will keep fresh for up to 3 months. (Be sure to stir it well in your mixer once it is thawed).
Matcha Buttercream (5 ingredients + vegan)
- mixing bowl, sieve, electric mixer with whisk or paddle attachment
- Using the whisk or paddle attachment, whip together soft butter with sifted powdered sugar using your electric mixer. Start on slow and then increase speed to high.
- Once combined, creamy and fluffy in consistency, add extracts and matcha. Beat again until well combined. Add more sifted powdered sugar if a thicker consistency is wished.
- Pipe or spread immediately, or store in the fridge or freezer.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.