These soft and fluffy Whole Wheat Donuts with sprinkles are dairy free, eggless, and baked, not fried. Top with a delicious maple glaze and more colorful sprinkles. They are so delicious, comforting, and quick to make.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (Eggless and dairy free)
- Fluffy texture, delicious and fun!
- Made with better for you ingredients
- Baked, instead of fried
To make this recipe you need a donut pan, either 6 or 12 count. I also recommend a piping bag. Using a piping bag to fill your donut pan is mess-free, quickest and easiest.
🍩 Where to find vegan sprinkles
Store-bought sprinkles are sometimes vegan, and sometimes not. Some non-vegan ingredients include beeswax, eggs, dairy, confectioners glaze, or gelatin. So you need to read the ingredients labels beforehand! To make things easier I have a full guide on vegan sprinkles (with brand recommendations) for you.
If you can, store donuts unglazed, and glaze freshly on the day of eating. Wrap them in a napkin, or place donuts into a paper bag. Then store in an air-tight container at room temperature for 3 days. If you are planning on storing them for longer keep them in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze them.
❄️ How to freeze
Store donuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for around 4 hours until solid. Then transfer the frozen donuts to a freezer bag, label with the date of freezing, and return them to the freezer. They keep fresh for around 3 months when frozen properly. Thaw in fridge overnight, or on the counter.
Whole Wheat Donuts with Sprinkles (vegan)
- donut pan (6 or 12 count), piping bag, electric mixer, mixing bowl
- 60 grams whole wheat flour (½ cup)
- 65 grams unbleached all purpose flour (½ cup)
- 100 grams cane sugar (½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 30 mililiters vegetable oil (2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 120 mililiters plant milk, eg: almond, soy, oat (½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- vegan sprinkles of choice
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C. Slightly spray or brush donut pan with fat.
- In a mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer until everything is combined and a smooth batter has formed. Let dough rest for 15 minutes. Then fold in some vegan sprinkles with a spatula.
- Fill a piping bag with the dough and pipe dough into your donut pan. Bake for 13 minutes. Use the toothpick test, to check if your donuts are ready before taking them out. If it comes out clean your donuts are ready. Let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan before taking them out. Transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- To make the glaze sieve powdered sugar into a bowl. Start by adding 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Mix together until smooth. Add another tablespoon of maple syrup, if needed. Fill a shallow bowl with sprinkles. Dip donuts into the glaze, then into the sprinkles. Let sit for 30 minutes, or until the glaze is fully set. Enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.