This avocado summer roll recipe is the perfect light meal on hot summer days. The summer rolls are filled with Chinese noodles, vegan smoked salmon, and refreshing veggies such as avocado and cucumber. Pair with a tangy sesame and tahini vinaigrette to make these rolls extra special.
This post is supported by Ty Ling, but as always all opinions shared are my own. A big thank you to the supporting brands, that make The Simple Sprinkle possible.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- vegan (no eggs & dairy free)
- Light meal for hot days
- Asian-style food made plant-based
- Healthy and filling
🇻🇳 What is a summer roll
Summer rolls originate in Vietnam and traditionally consist of rice noodles, pork or prawn, vegetables, bún, herbs, and other ingredients. They go by many names, their Vietnamese name is Gỏi cuốn or nem cuốn, but they are also often referred to as salad roll, fresh spring roll, spring roll, rice paper roll, or salad roll.
Unlike spring rolls and egg rolls, summer rolls are served cold and have a translucent wrapper out of rice paper. They are often served with peanut, hoisin, or vinaigrette dipping sauce.
Looking for more vegan Vietnamese dishes? Visit the Viet Vegan food blog by Lisa, who has a ton of authentic recipes!
🌱 Are summer rolls healthy?
Fresh summer rolls can be a very healthy meal or snack! Plant-based whole foods are the key to a healthy diet and with summer rolls it is super easy to get in your daily dose of veg and fruit.
If you want your summer rolls to be a healthy meal, keep them plant-based. Stay away from animal products, and highly processed or fried foods.
🤔 How many calories are in a summer roll?
The calories and nutritional value of a summer roll vary with its filling. A sheet of rice paper has around 30 to 40 calories. When you fill them with healthy ingredients they average 140 calories per roll (without the dip).
This avocado summer roll recipe has around 120 calories per roll and is full of healthy whole-food nutrients, nourishing your body!
To make summer rolls at home you need just a few simple ingredients:
- round rice paper wrappers
- filtered water
- fillings of your choice
To make vegan avocado summer rolls with smoked carrot salmon you need:
👩🏽🍳 How to make summer rolls
Making summer rolls at home is super easy! The folding may take a couple of tries, but you will get the hang of it quickly.
- Take a rice paper wrapper and completely submerge it in a bowl of hot water for 10-15 seconds.
- Place the wrapper on a plate or cutting board – it’ll continue to soften as you assemble the roll. Add fillings as desired: avocado, vegan salmon, cucumbers, and noodles. (To make them look pretty start with flat ingredients such as layers of avocado or salmon first.)
- Fold the bottom half of the wrapper up over the filling, hold the fold in place, fold in the sides, and roll tightly. Repeat as needed.
- Dip in the vinaigrette and enjoy!
🥑 How to make sesame tahini vinaigrette for avocado summer rolls
A sauce or vinaigrette in which to dip your summer rolls rounds up this dish. Our sesame tahini vinaigrette is tangy, slightly creamy, and full of umami flavors. Perfect for an avocado summer roll with vegan salmon. All you need to make it is:
🥢 What to serve with summer rolls
Summer rolls are a great appetizer, side, or even main dish. Serve them with a dipping sauce, such as peanut, sweet chili, or sesame tahini.
Some great pairs for summer rolls include:
- soup (such as miso, noodle, hot & sour, or even phở)
- roasted vegetables
- broccoli wings, or cauliflower wings
- fried rice
- pan-fried tofu or popcorn tofu
- salad (such as coleslaw)
These summer rolls are best made and eaten fresh. If you do have leftovers that need to be stored, wrap individual avocado summer roll tightly in plastic wrap and store the rolls in an airtight container in the fridge. They stay fresh like this for up to two days (the avocado may brown a bit in color).
Avocado Summer Roll Recipe with vegan Salmon
- 12 round rice paper wrappers
- filtered water (hot)
- 6 slices vegan salmon
- 1 big ripe avocado (thinly sliced)
- 2 ½ cups Chinese noodles (cooked)
- 1 cucumber (cut into thin strips)
sesame tahini vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Sprinkles of white sesame seeds
- In a bowl or measuring cup whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Add to a serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Take a rice paper wrapper and completely submerge it in a bowl of hot water for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Place the wrapper on a plate or cutting board – it’ll continue to soften as you assemble the roll. Add fillings as desired: avocado, vegan salmon, cucumbers, and noodles.
- Fold the bottom half of the wrapper up over the filling, hold the fold in place, fold in the sides, and roll. Repeat as needed. Dip in the sesame vinaigrette and enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your creations.
Andrea White says
these rolls are soooo delicious! perfect for game night!