In need of a perfect appetizer? Make these grilled and marinated Zucchini Crostini with vegan Stracciatella cheese! They are such an easy appetizer that everyone will love! Made with fresh herbs and high-quality olive oil. This is sure to be the ultimate crowdpleaser.
This post is supported by Monini Olive Oil. But as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. A big thanks to the supporting brands that make The Simple Sprinkle possible.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Easy to make
- Very flavorful and delicious
- Italian cuisine
- Perfect appetizer for any gathering or party
🫒 Monini Olive Oil
Monini has a wide range of products, such as oils and vinegar. The Monini family produces products from their heart since 1920. All of their oils are 100% Italian, organic, and certified by ICEA. Their oils are exclusively made from natural farming. Therefore, they don't use any artificial fertilizers or chemical pesticides!
In this recipe, we are using their IGP Sicilia. Taste the fragrances of Sicily in this oil. Pleasant fruity flavors with intense green tomato taste, mildly pungent, and slightly sweet. It is absolutely delicious! Overall one of the best olive oils I’ve ever tasted! Its delicate taste makes it perfect for fresh vegetables and marinades.
🥖 What is Crostini?
Crostini (meaning "little crusts" in Italian) is an Italian appetizer. It consists of small slices of grilled (or toasted) bread and various toppings. Generally, toppings include a variety of cheeses, meats, and vegetables. A simpler topping version is brushes of olive oil and herbs. Along with bruschetta, crostini originate in medieval times.
🧀 What is Stracciatella cheese?
Stracciatella is an Italian cheese product from pulled mozzarella curds and heavy cream. The word stracciatella means “rag”, and it comes from the word strattore ("to stretch"). Generally, Mozzarella in Italy is made out of buffalo milk. Unlike in the United States, where stracciatella is usually pasteurized cow's milk.
🌱 How to make it vegan?
To turn this stracciatella cheese plant-based mash-up vegan mozzarella cheese in a small bowl. Then add vegan cream cheese and mix well together. If necessary add some filtered water and salt to taste. Leave in the refrigerator until ready to use. All in all this 'cheese' mix will give your crostini an amazing flavor and creaminess!
If you’re a garlic lover, add more garlic to the marinade. Mince and keep in the marinade to enhance its flavor. You can also substitute garlic with 1 teaspoon garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic cloves around.
If desired using regular dairy-based Mozzarella and sweet cream is possible.
Generally, the crostini keep fresh for a couple of hours. However, they are best eaten immediately. Keep leftover oil in an air-tight jar, to drizzle on salads or pasta.
Grilled Marinated Zucchini Crostini (vegan)
- 1-2 Zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ⅛ inch thin strips
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, Monini's IGP Sicilia (120 ml)
- 1 whole garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 8 julienned mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 sliced ciabatta bread
To Make Stracciatella
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (115g - ½ cup)
- 8 oz vegan mozarella (225g)
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- Heat grill pan over med/high heat, add zucchini, and grill 2-3 minutes each side, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, vinegar, and mint leaves. Brush mixture over zucchini, and marinade for at least 30-40 minutes.
- In a small bowl mash up vegan mozzarella cheese. Add vegan cream cheese and mix well together. If necessary add some salt to taste. Leave in the refrigerator until ready to be used.
- Slice ciabatta. Heat grill pan over med/high heat. Grill ciabatta for 3-4 minutes on each side until desired crispiness. Remove from grill and drizzle a bit of the flavored EVOO from the marinate over crostini.
- Spread stracciatella over each crostini. Let the oil drip off zucchini shortly. Then place on top of bread. Serve and buon Appetito!
For more vegan appetizers browse our recipe page.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.