Creating a Halloween Charcuterie Board is a spooktacular way to blend savory, sweet, and spooky. It offers a visually captivating and delicious experience that's perfect for entertaining during the eerie season.
In this blog post, you discover all the essential tips and tricks to plan, assemble, and create your own hauntingly delightful spread.
If you're a fan of party foods and the delightful world of charcuteries, be sure to explore our collection.
This post is sponsored by International Collection. A big shoutout to the brands that make The Simple Sprinkle possible!
What do you put on a Halloween charcuterie board? Here's the deal: the list of ingredients below is more like guidelines than strict rules.
You're the boss of your board, so take it as an inspiration to mix, match, and swap ingredients to your tastes and needs.
Now, here on The Simple Sprinkle, we are all about that vegan lifestyle, so if you're on the same page, I totally recommend going for vegan cheeses, dips, spreads, and more for your spooktacular board.
But hey, it's your party, so you do you! Have a fang-tastic time creating your creepy charcuterie masterpiece.
- Cheddar Cheese (like Good Planet Foods)
- Brie Cheese (We love the handcrafted plant-based artisan cheeses from Rebel Cheese)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cream Cheese (great for spreading and making flavored dips)
- Cured (vegan) meats such as pepperoni, salami, or other deli slices
- Sausages and Cocktail Wieners
- Tofu Meatballs
- Smoked Tofu
As the bread-dipping trend takes center stage this year, International Collection's flavored oils stand as exceptional companions, each contributing its own distinct personality to your culinary Halloween charcuterie board.
- White Truffle Olive Oil: International Collection presents a luxurious selection of premium flavored oils, including the highly coveted White Truffle Olive Oil. Indulge in the opulence of truffles as you dip warm, crusty bread into this exquisite oil. Its alluring aroma and rich flavor elevate every bite, making it the perfect choice for a bread-dipping adventure.
- Garlic Flavored Olive Oil: Experience the irresistible allure of International Collection's Garlic Flavored Olive Oil. This oil infuses bread with a burst of savory garlic goodness. Its aromatic punch adds depth and character to your bread-dipping escapade, making it a must-try for garlic enthusiasts. We love to add chili flakes for an extra kick!
- Toasted Sesame Oil: For a unique twist, try the Toasted Sesame Oil from International Collection. Its nutty richness and versatility shine as you explore its role in bread dipping. Transport your taste buds to Asia with this delightful oil, adding depth and intrigue to your Halloween charcuterie board.
- Virgin Pumpkin Seed Oil: Discover the earthy elegance of International Collection's Virgin Pumpkin Seed Oil. This vibrant oil brings a touch of autumn to your bread-dipping experience. Its distinct flavor profile adds a unique dimension to your spread, making it a standout choice for those seeking something different.
Spreads, Dips and Toppings:
- Hummus (various flavors like pumpkin, roasted red pepper or garlic)
- Plant-based Aioli or vegan Chipotle Sauce
- Fig or Date Paste (for a sweet and savory twist)
- Any other homemade dips you prefer
Fruit and Veggies:
- Dark Grapes
- Cut Apples (for a fresh and crisp element)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Baby Carrots (add color and crunch)
- Fresh Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- Sliced or Mini Cucumbers
- Any other fruit and veggies you prefer
- Halloween Candy of choice
- Nut Mix or Seeds, such as Pumpkin Seeds
- Dried Fruits (apricots, figs, or cranberries)
- Dark Chocolate (for a sweet and spooky addition)
- Any other Halloween-themed foods you prefer. We have a collection with ideas, recipes and tips below!
- Baguette or other artisan bread of choice such as ciabatta, or sourdough
- Gluten-free Crackers
- Pretzels and Pretzel Sticks (add a salty crunch)
- Mini Bell Peppers (colorful and crunchy)
- Pumpkin-shaped Pumpkin Bread
- Any other dippers you would like to add!
Here are some more creative variation ideas for your Halloween charcuterie board:
- Caramel Apple Board:
- Serve a bowl of freshly cut apples or whole apples. Make sure to wash and remove wax, if using whole apples.
- Add a bowl of caramel, as well as toppings such as crushed Oreos, Halloween-themed sprinkles, googly eyes, and more to dip apples in.
- Pumpkin Patch Board:
- Include pumpkin themed foods like pumpkin hummus, pumpkin bread, or pumpkin shaped quesadillas.
- Use snacks such as carrot sticks, pretzel sticks, and cucumber slices as "stems."
- Decorate with small edible pumpkins made from bell peppers or vegan cheese.
- Witch's Cauldron Board:
- Serve a warm, savory soup or chili in a cauldron.
- Accompany it with breadsticks or crusty bread for dipping.
- Add "eyeballs" using mozzarella stuffed olives.
- Vampire's Delight Board:
- Focus on garlic-infused vegan dishes like garlic bread, roasted garlic cloves, and garlic hummus.
- Offer pomegranate juice or beetroot-based drinks as "blood."
- Ghostly Sweets Board:
- Vegan Candyland Board:
- Create a board with an assortment of Halloween candies, gummies, and chocolates.
- Incorporate colorful and themed candies like gummy worms or bat shaped chocolates.
Don't forget to drop a comment at the bottom of the blog post if you whipped up a fantastic variation! I love hearing all about your creations.
To prepare a Halloween charcuterie board, you need serving platters, small bowls, cheese knives, cutting boards, and utensils like small spoons and decorative picks.
Additionally, consider providing labels, plates or bowls, napkins, and appropriate glassware for a well-rounded charcuterie experience.
Here's a list of equipment and decoration suggestions to design a Halloween Charcuterie Board:
- Wooden Serving Board: A stylish base for arranging your spooky spread. We love using dark wood, or black colored board.
- Toy Mini Spiders: We love to add creepy-crawly decorations to give the Halloween charcuterie board that extra spooky touch.
- Fake Spider Web: Stretchy spider webs to drape around your board on the table or kitchen island for an eerie effect.
- Mini Pumpkins and Candles: Scatter mini pumpkins and candles around the board for a cute and festive look.
- Halloween Plates, Bowls, and Trays: Specialized trays or platters with Halloween designs or shapes can add a fabulous spooky touch while holding your ingredients!
- Skeleton or Skull: Another cool idea is to place a small skeleton or skull figurine in the center of your board or table to create a macabre centerpiece that your guests can enjoy. Make sure to arrange the board around it.
- Cauldron: Use a cauldron as a unique serving vessel. For dips or sauces, you could use miniature cauldrons. It adds a witchy and enchanting element to your board.
- Halloween Toothpicks: Fun toothpicks with Halloween motifs for spearing small items like olives or cheese cubes serve your guests while keeping a cohesive spooky theme.
Have fun with it! Feel free to get creative, add, and use any other equipment or decor that you enjoy or have on hand.
🎉 Easy-to-make Halloween Party Recipes
You may want to make and incorporate Halloween-themed party foods! Here are some of our favorite ideas for easy-to-make Halloween Charcuterie Board recipes:
- Mummy Cookies: A sweet and spooky looking treat for your guests that is so easy to make!
- Witch's Brew Dip: Prepare a spinach and artichoke dip served in a cauldron shaped bowl.
- Ghost Pizza: Slice mozzarella into slices, and cut out ghost shapes using a ghost shaped cookie cutter. Top a big, or several mini pizzas for a ghostly pizza!
- Halloween Fortune Cookies: Dip regular fortune cookies into chocolate or icing, and cover them in Halloween-themed sprinkles. Or alternatively, purchase Halloween-themed fortune cookies with spooky notes inside!
- Mummy-wrapped Sausages: Wrap mini sausages with strips of crescent roll dough to create "mummy" sausages. Bake until golden brown and serve with mustard or ketchup for dipping.
- Candy Corn Fruit Platter: Arrange orange slices, pineapple chunks, and vegan whipped cream in layers to resemble candy corn.
- Bat-Shaped Sandwiches: Make small sandwiches using bat shaped cookie cutters, fill them with your favorite ingredients, and display them on the board with themed picks.
- Ginger Apple Snaps: These flavorful, sweet, and festive apple cookies are inspired by the Fantastic Mr. Fox movie and a true showstopper.
These recipes are easy to prepare and add a playful and thematic touch to your Halloween Charcuterie Board.
👩🏽🍳 How To Make a Halloween Charcuterie Board
Let's chat about how to make the best Halloween Charcuterie Board.
Gather Your Ingredients and Equipment
- Before you begin, make sure you have all your ingredients and equipment ready, including cheeses, spreads, fruits, veggies, spooky extras, dippers, and Halloween-themed cookie cutters for the cheese slices.
- Prepare any homemade foods and recipes in advance when possible, and cut any produce if necessary.
- Arrange your serving platter or board within easy reach.
Start with Bigger Bowls and Cheeses
- Begin by placing the larger serving bowls and cheese blocks or wheels onto your board. You can arrange them in different corners or sections of the board.
- Use Halloween-themed cookie cutters to cut out shapes from slices of cheese. Arrange these cutout shapes creatively around the board.
Add Spreads and Dippings
- Position small bowls or ramekins on the board and fill them with various spreads, like pumpkin hummus, garlic aioli, or spooky-looking black olive tapenade.
- Surround the bowls with complementary items like sliced baguette, breadsticks, or crackers.
Arrange Fruits and Veggies
- Place a variety of fresh and colorful fruits like grapes, apple slices, and berries in different areas of the board.
- Add veggies like cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, and cucumber slices for a balance of flavors and textures.
Incorporate Spooky Extras
- Scatter spooky extras like nuts, Halloween-themed candy, or dried fruits (e.g., cranberries or apricots) throughout the board for added texture and fun.
- Consider including thematic touches like edible "eyeballs" made from stuffed olives or ghost-shaped marshmallow treats.
- Place breadsticks, pretzel crisps, and an assortment of crackers in different parts of the board, ensuring they are easily accessible for dipping into the spreads and cheeses.
Add Decorative Touches
- Decorate the board with plastic spiders, fake spider webs, miniature pumpkins, and other Halloween-themed decorations for a spooky vibe.
Label and Serve
- If desired, label the cheeses and spreads using small signs or labels for clarity.
- Serve your Halloween Charcuterie Board to your guests and watch them enjoy your delicious and spooky creation!
Remember to be creative with your arrangement, balancing colors, shapes, and textures to make your Halloween Charcuterie Board visually appealing and fun.
✨ Sprinkle's Expert Tips
- When designing a Halloween charcuterie board, consider choosing a color theme, such as classic black and orange or eerie green and purple, to create a visually cohesive look.
- Incorporate a general theme, like "Witches' Brew" or "Haunted Mansion," by including thematic elements such as cauldron-shaped bowls, witch hat cheese spreads, or ghost-shaped foods.
- Remember to balance the spooky and fun elements to ensure your board is both visually captivating and delicious for your guests.
- To reduce stress on the day of your Halloween gathering, prep as much as possible in advance. This includes cutting fruits, veggies, and cheeses, and assembling any dips or spreads. This way, you can focus on arranging and decorating your board when it's time to serve.
- Ensure that perishable items are kept at a safe temperature, especially if your Halloween Charcuterie Board will be out for an extended period.
- Use chilled serving platters or trays to keep items cool. Always make sure you are following food safety guidelines.
- Throughout your Halloween gathering, keep an eye on the board and replenish items as they get eaten or look less appealing. This ensures a fresh and inviting presentation.
💭 Recipe FAQ
You can label the items on your Halloween Charcuterie Board in a fun and thematic way. Consider using small chalkboard signs or labels and write the names of the items with chalk or chalk markers. You can also get creative with Halloween-themed labels like tombstones for cheeses or spooky potion labels for dips. Labeling helps guests identify items and adds to the Halloween theme.
Pairing wines or cocktails with your Halloween Charcuterie Board can enhance the overall experience. Here are some suggestions:
- Halloween-themed Drinks: This can include anything from a homemade punch, soda, to cocktails and mocktails. Simply search on google and pinterest or other socials to find spooky drinks that fit your theme and taste!
- Red Wine: A medium to full-bodied red wine like Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Pinot Noir pairs well with the richness of cheeses and cured meats.
- White Wine: A crisp, acidic white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay complements lighter cheeses and seafood.
- Sparkling Wine: Sparkling wine or Champagne adds a touch of elegance and pairs nicely with a variety of charcuterie items.
- Craft Beer: Opt for craft beers like an IPA, stout, or saison, which can complement the flavors of the meats and cheeses.
- Cocktails: Consider serving thematic cocktails like a Blood Orange Margarita, Dark and Stormy, or Blackberry Bramble to match the Halloween theme.
- Non-Alcoholic Options: Offer non-alcoholic options like sparkling water with fruit garnishes or themed mocktails for guests who don't drink alcohol.
If you are vegan or catering to vegans make sure to check Barnivore, to see if the alcoholic beverage you want to serve is actually vegan.
To store your Halloween Charcuterie Board or any leftovers, start by disassembling and cleaning the board. Keep reusable decorations in a dry place and wipe off if necessary.
Refrigerate any perishable items like cheeses, dips, fruits, and veggies in airtight containers, and label them with dates for freshness. Additionally, preserve bread, crackers, nuts, and dried fruits in airtight containers.
Consider repurposing leftover ingredients into new dishes to minimize food waste and enjoy the charcuterie elements in creative ways.
🎃 More Halloween Recipes
Halloween Charcuterie Board
- wooden serving board or platter
- Halloween-themed cookie cutters for cheese slices
- toy mini spiders
- fake spider web
- mini pumpkins
- Halloween-themed trays and bowls
- Halloween-themed toothpicks for easy picking and dipping
- Thematic serving ware like cauldron-shaped bowls or bat-shaped trays
- Small signs or labels for item identification on the board
- 2-3 cheese varieties (eg vegan mozzarella, cheddar, gouda, or brie)
- 6 oz (vegan) cured meats (eg pepperoni, salami, deli slices)
- 16 cocktail wieners (or 8 sausages)
- 8 oz tofu meatballs (or smoked tofu)
Spreads, Dips, and Toppings:
- ¼ cup International Collection White Truffle Oil
- ¼ cup International Collection Garlic Flavored Olive Oil
- ¼ cup International Collection Sesame Oil
- ¼ cup International Collection Pumpkin Oil
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ cup pesto
- ½ cup chipotle sauce or vegan aioli
- 1 cup homemade dip of choice
- A small handful additional toppings like herbs, spices, or edible flowers
Fruits and Vegetables
- 1 cup dark grapes or apples
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 cups fresh vegetables (eg cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, cucumber slices)
- ½ cup olives
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup Halloween-themed candy (eg gummy worms, candy corn)
- ¼ cup googly eyes
- Halloween-themed foods (eg mummy cookies, bet-shaped sandwiches, pumpkin-shaped bread)
- 1 baguette sliced
- 1 cup breadsticks
- 1 cup crackers
- Before you begin, make sure you have all your ingredients and equipment ready, including cheeses, spreads, fruits, veggies, spooky extras, dippers, and Halloween-themed cookie cutters for the cheese slices. Arrange your serving platter or board within easy reach.
Prepare the Board:
- Start with a clean and dry wooden serving board or platter as the base for your Halloween Charcuterie Board.
- Arrange your Halloween-themed and shaped trays and bowls strategically on the board to create sections for different ingredients. If you are using bigger Halloween-decor such as cauldrons or skeletons make sure to assemble them now too.
- Place a variety of cheeses in different areas of the board, and use bowls or trays for various spreads, dips, and toppings. Ensure there's a balance of flavors and textures.
- Place the mini pumpkins around the board to add a festive touch. These can also be used to prop up bowls or trays.
- Use Halloween-themed cookie cutters to cut slices of cheese into spooky shapes like bats or ghosts. Arrange these creatively on the board.
- Add a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables to different sections of the board. Cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, apple slices, and grapes work well. Scatter spooky extras like nuts and Halloween candy throughout the board to add texture and fun.
- Position breadsticks, baguette slices, and an assortment of crackers around the board, making sure they are easily accessible for dipping.
- Insert Halloween-themed toothpicks into various items like olives, cheese cubes, or fruit to add to the spooky theme. Use fresh herbs and nuts to fill in empty spaces.
- Decorate the board with spooky decor! Begin by scattering mini fake spiders across, and fake spider webs, around the board to create a spooky atmosphere. Add any other additional spooky decor. Don't be shy to rearrange and play with it until it feels and looks good to you!
Label Items (Optional):
- If desired, label the items on the board with small signs or labels for clarity.
Serve and Enjoy
- Your Halloween Charcuterie Board is ready to be served! Encourage your guests to enjoy the spooky and delicious spread you've created.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
For food safety see guidelines at USDA.gov.