Enjoy this easy vegan protein balls recipe. They are one of the best snacks to have on hand for a healthy and quick snack! The protein balls are made with just 7 ingredients, and contain all essential amino acids thanks using tofu as main protein source.
This post is supported by Bio Familia. A big thanks to the supporting brands, that make The Simple Sprinkle possible! All opinions shared are my own.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (dairy free & no eggs)
- Gluten free
- Easy to make
- Made in under 15 minutes
- Beginner friendly
- Protein packed (tofu, müesli, nut butter & flax seeds)
- Healthy plant-based snack
All you need to prepare these snack balls are:
- Firm Tofu
- Müesli, such as Familia Swiss Müesli
- Peanut butter
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
- Dried seedless fruit of choice (eg dates, cherries)
- Flax seed meal
- Optional add-ins: a pinch of salt to enhance flavors, and instant coffee powder as a taste and energy booster.
- To coat the vegan protein balls use more Müesli and/or coconut shreds.
👩🏽🍳 How to make vegan protein balls
Making vegan protein balls from scratch is so easy, which makes these perfect for beginners. Start by:
- Pressing tofu (minimum 10 minutes, best overnight)
- Mash tofu into small crumbs and add to the food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- With a small cookie scoop, or a spoon, form dough balls.
- Leave uncoated, or coat spread-out muesli, or coconut shreds in a shallow plate and roll balls in it. Enjoy!
🌱 Benefits of eating tofu
Tofu is a great source of plant-based protein as it contains 8g of protein in 100g of tofu, and also all nine essential amino acids. In addition, it is a valuable plant-based source of iron, calcium, and the minerals manganese and phosphorous. It also contains nutrients like magnesium, copper, zinc, and vitamin B1.
🥣 How to store?
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days. It is also possible to freeze these! Store them in an air-tight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and placed on a few paper towels.
Vegan Protein Balls Recipe (easy)
- 1 package Firm Tofu (14 oz / 400g)
- 1 ½ cups Müesli, such as Familia Swiss Müesli
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup Maple syrup
- ⅓ cup Dried seedless fruit of choice (eg dates, cherries)
- ½ cup Flax seed meal
- Optional add-ins: a pinch of salt to enhance flavors, and/or 2 teaspoon of instant coffee powder as a taste and energy booster.
- ⅓ cup To coat the vegan protein balls use more Müesli and/or coconut shreds.
- Press tofu for a minimum of 10 minutes, or best overnight. While the tofu is draining, combine the other ingredients (except coating) in a large bowl.
- Mash the tofu with your hands (or use a fork) until it is small crumbs. Then add it to the rest of the ingredients and mix until fully combined. As an alternative, use a food processor and mix for around 1 minute to combine ingredients.
- Using a small cookie scoop or your hands, form dough into balls about 1 1⁄2 tablespoons in size, and roll in coatings.
- Add müesli into a shallow dish. Add coconut shreds into a separate shallow dish. Roll balls in coatings directly after shaping it into a ball.
- Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to one week. Or in your freezer for longer storage (around 3 months).
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
These hit the spot, I love them. I have been eating them on a daily basis. Thanks for an amazing recipe