Large spiced Ginger Apple Snaps with crunchy edges and a chewy, soft center. Use Whole Wheat Flour to make them healthier than usual cookies! These spicy, sweet and festive apple cookies are inspired by the Fantastic Mr. Fox movie and entirely vegan. Enjoy these on a cozy fall day with a cup of coffee or tea.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Easy to make
- Festive and eye-catching
- Inspired by the Fantastic Mr. Fox Movie
- Healthier: Made with 100% whole wheat flour
- Ginger and cinnamon flavor
These cookies are inspired by the fictional “Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snaps” that appear several times in the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox. The cookies are basically big, spiced cookies topped with an apple slice and plenty of sparkly sugar. I personally like to keep things on the healthy side, so I tried to keep the sugar and butter as low as for cookies possible.
👩🏽🍳 How to
These cookies are super easy to make! After making the cookie dough there is no chill time necessary. However, if you have some time let it rest since it helps intensify its taste.
Scoop dough, form into a ball, then roll through a sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place and flatten cookie ball out on prepared cookie sheet. Press a fresh thin slice of apple on top. Repeat until no dough is remaining, keeping around 2.5cm (1 inch) space between the cookies. Bake and enjoy!
🍎 What kind of apple should I use?
You can use any apple you would use in baking. I used Fuji apples for these cookies since they are one of my favorites. But I think Gala, Braeburn, or Honeycrisp would be tasty as well.
🔪 How to slice the apple
To get the 'star shape' into your apples, cut it sideways without coring it. Slice it thinly with a chef's knife.
You will need a cookie sheet, a mixing bowl, and an electric mixer to make this recipe. Using an ice cream scoop to portion cookies out will ensure even, same-sized cookies.
Make sure cookies cool completely before storing. Store them at room temperature in a cookie jar or other air-tight container. They keep fresh for around 5 days.
❄️ How to freeze
In a single layer add completely cooled cookies to a freezer-friendly bag labeled with the date of freezing. They keep fresh for around 2 months in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
More cookie ideas
If you're looking for more cookie recipes using whole wheat, try these Peanut Butter Cookies with Whole Wheat. For a more indulgent and gluten free option, you should give these healthier almond crunch bars are go. For more inspiration browse our cookie page!
Whole Wheat Ginger Apple Snaps
- electric mixer, mixing bowl, cookie sheet, ice cream scoop (size for 1 -2 tbsp)
- 130 g vegan butter (4.5 oz)
- 100 g brown sugar (3.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon aquafaba, brine of canned chickpeas
- 1 ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 250 g whole wheat flour (8.8 oz)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Fuji apple* sliced
Cinnamon sugar mix
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 50 g cane cugar (1.7 oz)
- coarse sugar, or cake sparkles for sprinkling after baking
- Preheat the oven to 165°C / 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable sheet, like Silpat. Slice apple into very thin slices sideways, sprinkle with some lemon juice and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light, fluffy, and well combined. Then add aquafaba. Beat again until fluffy and well combined. Add maple syrup, spices, and salt. Beat on medium speed until creamy and fluffy.
- In a different medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two parts, carefully and at low speed, until the ingredients are fully blended. Once everything is well combined beat on high speed for 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar mix. With an ice cream scoop, scoop out a ball. Then roll through the sugar-cinnamon mix. Using your hand flatten ball on the prepared cookie sheet. Then take a slice of apple and press it firmly into the center, flattening the cookie a bit more.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven and how chewy or crunchy you want the cookies. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with some coarse sugar if wished and enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
They turned out great! The recipe was easy to follow and they taste amazing.
Thank you so much for your feedback Lydia! I'm happy to hear they turned out great.
Mikyla Meckelson says
Wow! I love ginger snaps and the addition of the apple is genius!
Thanks so much Mikyla! Happy to read your comment and thoughts about this. 🙂
This recipe was very easy to follow! Because I like things on the sweeter side, I doubled the brown sugar and added a few extra TBS of plant milk until it became more of a cookie dough consistency. I love spiced cookies and the apple slices paired so well with it!
thank you so much for your feedback. I am so happy they turned out so well!
These whole wheat ginger apple snaps are so festive for fall! I love making these and enjoying them with a cup of tea!
Thank you so much for your feedback Emily!
Wow! These apple snaps are so yumm.. perfect to snack on.
Thank you so much!
I love this idea and they look so beautiful! Excited to make this with the family this weekend.
Thank you so much! I love how decorative they are too!
Jac your presentations are always 100%
Thank you Nancy, that is so kind of you to say and I appreciate it a lot!
Ooh what fun. Absolutely adore those apple slices on top. And I 100% approve of your whole grain flour addition 😀
Thank you so much! It's always fun making your baking a little bit more nutritious right? 🙂
Love these whole wheat apple cookies! They're a wonderful fall dessert idea, so yummy!
Thank you so much Marinela!
Andrea White says
so healthy and delicious! love these so much!
These turned out really great! My kids And husband loved them. Fantastic mr. Fox is one of my favorite movies and always has been. You will say it may need a bit more ginger, couldnt quite get even a hint of it. And possible chopping up apple prices to get an apple in every bite. The one big slice seems to come off after first bite. But either way these are *Fantastic!*
Thank you so much for your honest feedback and for trying this recipe! I definitely agree that smaller apple pieces would be more 'mouth friendly' - but then they wouldn't look as pretty and like the movie ones anymore. Such a struggle! I'll make sure to adjust the ginger to a stronger flavor and make a note about the apple pieces.