This Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl is so simple, yet incredibly delicious. It's also vegan, gluten, oil and refined sugar-free. Super creamy, smooth, chocolatey, and ready to go in just minutes. Find all of your favorite flavors in one bowl!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Ready in just minutes
- High in plant protein
- Perfect for chocolate lovers
- Whole-foods plant-based
🍫 Benefits of eating dark chocolate and cocoa
Often chocolate is associated with junk food, and if you're eating a bar of chocolate full of added sugars and fillers it may not be the healthiest treat for you. However, the consumption of cocoa products is actually associated with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. The phytonutrients packed in cocoa powder may lead to lower blood pressure and LDL levels, while boosting HDL levels and immune function.
Just one teaspoon of cocoa results in a significant boost in arterial function within hours of consumption. Not only that, it may help open up coronary arteries, improve the ability of veins in the eyes to dilate, improve blood flow to the kidneys, lead to improvements in peripheral artery disease, and may even combat the effects of aging (source).
So don't be afraid to indulge in a little bit of chocolate once in a while! The best way to reap the benefits of cacao beans is to choose a cocoa powder that does not contain fat or added sugar. That's why I chose an unsweetened cocoa powder to flavor this tasty smoothie bowl in this recipe.
🌱 More plant-based breakfast recipes
For more smoothie bowls check this roundup out! Or try this pumpkin pie smoothie recipe. It's so good! Are you in the mood for a hearty breakfast? Try this delicious vegan scrambled egg! For more plant-based recipes browse our breakfast page.
Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl (vegan)
- high speed blender, or food processor
- 2 frozen bananas (peeled) broken into halves, or thirds
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup plant milk of choice (I like to use almond milk)
- 2 tablespoon all natual peanut butter
- 1 scoop of vegan (vanilla) protein powder (You could also use a chocolate flavored protein powder)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder all natural, unsweetened and no added fats
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- fresh berries and/or sliced fruit, like banana
- nuts and seeds, like hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax meal, cashews, peanuts etc.
- Cacao nibs
- Coconut flakes or granola
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, add all ingredients. Blend until thick and creamy. Scrape sides if needed. If the smoothie is too thick, add a few more splashes of milk until you get your desired consistency.
- Transfer the smoothie to bowls, or plates and garnish with the toppings of your choice. Grab a spoon, and enjoy!!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.