Learn how to make vegan cream cheese frosting! This frosting is perfectly smooth and tangy. Use this cream cheese frosting anytime you need a smooth and creamy topping for cakes, bars, cookies, or cupcakes.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Easy to make
- Creamy, tangy and so delicious
- Perfect for Layer Cakes, Cupcakes, and more
💭 Top tips for perfect frosting
Buy organic powdered sugar and sift it! In the United States most refined sugars are not vegan. Why? Most refined sugars require bone char to get that clear white color. To ensure your powdered sugar is vegan you have to buy organic, since USDA approved organic sugars cannot be filtered through bone char. Some organic sugars are a bit more rough and clumpy, so sifting it will help making this frosting super smooth!
Weigh your ingredients for accuracy. Using cups and measuring by volume is very popular in the US, however, it is also very inaccurate. Using a scale instead is much more accurate than using volume measurements. This ensures perfectly portioned recipes every time! That aside, this recipe is a little flexible on the amount of powdered sugar. If you want the frosting thicker, you can add more powdered sugar.
Keep all ingredients at room temperature. To ensure the butter and vegan cream cheese to combine smoothly, I highly recommend to use ingredients at room temperature. If the butter is beaten smooth and you add cold cream cheese you run the risk of a curdled frosting. Simply put ingredients out of the fridge 1 hour prior preparing.
It thickens up a lot in the fridge. This frosting hardens and thickens up a lot in the fridge. It is easiest to spread on baked goods when it's still soft and only slightly cooled. It is ideal for baked goods to be kept (covered) in the fridge after frosting. Put it out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before serving, so the frosting softens lightly.
🍽 Serving Ideas
Use this recipe for your next layer cake, like this vegan vanilla sponge. Or make this chocolate cake and swap the whipped cream with this frosting! For more vegan dessert ideas, browse our recipe page.
How To Make Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Electric Mixer, Mixing Bowl, Sieve
- 200 grams vegan Cream Cheese at room temperature (7 oz; equals 1 tub of Violife Cream Cheese, but other brands work fine too)
- 110 grams vegan Butter at room temperature (3.8 oz; equals 1 stick)
- 300-500 grams Powdered Sugar, organic (10.6 - 17.6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 hour before preparing the frosting put vegan butter and cream cheese out of the fridge. Let come to room temperature.
- Beat butter until creamy. Then add Cream Cheese and beat until combined.
- Sieve powdered sugar into butter cheese mixture cup by cup while mixing. 300g of powdered sugar is enough, but if you want it sweeter and thicker you could add up to 500g.
- Add seasoning and beat until well combined. Refrigerate covered until ready to use. Frost baked goods as desired.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.