A fudgy Chocolate Cake with Strawberries and Whipped Cream. It is full of chocolate goodness, paired with a layer of coconut whipped cream and topped with refreshing strawberries. The best part about this heavenly dessert? It is entirely vegan, egg free and dairy free!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Made from scratch
- Elegant cake that is perfect for any occasion
- Easy to make
- A dream for chocolate lovers
- Summer dessert
Swap the strawberries with other fruit that go well with chocolate. Such as bananas, cherries, apricots, pears, or raspberries!
🥥 Dairy free whipped cream
For this recipe, you can use a store-bought dairy-free whipped cream, or make your own by following this easy and quick recipe. It is super easy to make!
💭 Can I make it gluten free?
Yes! You can substitute the regular flour with a gluten-free 1:1 flour blend, such as the one from Bob's Red Mill.
🧁 Can I turn this recipe into cupcakes?
Yes, absolutely! The recipe will make batter for around 12 normal-sized, or 6 jumbo-sized cupcakes.
🍰 Make-ahead cake
This cake can be baked up to two days in advance! Store it tightly wrapped with plastic or parchment in an air-tight container either in the fridge or at room temperature.
If you are also making the vegan whipped cream from scratch, it can be made up to two days ahead and stored covered in the fridge as well.
Keep cake covered in the fridge where it keeps fresh for up to 5 days. Keep unfrosted cake in an air-tight container or tightly wrapped at room temperature for 2 days.
❄️ How to freeze
The cake can be frozen before frosting. Stored in a freezer-friendly container or bag for up to 3 months in the freezer. Label with the date of freezing. To thaw place in the fridge overnight, or on your countertop. Let it thaw entirely before frosting.
Chocolate Cake with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- Ø20cm / 8" Cake cake pan or ring, electric mixer
- 2 tablespoon flax meal (15 g)
- 75 ml hot water (5tbsp)
- 240 ml plant milk eg: almond, soy, oat (1 cup)
- 120 ml vegetable oil (½ cup)
- 150 g organic cane sugar (¾ cup)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 g unsweetened applesauce (½ cup)
- 150 g unbleached all purpose flour (1 ¼ cup)
- 35 g unsweetened cocoa powder (⅓ cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice optional
- 450 g vegan whipped cream (2 cups)
- 400 g fresh strawberries (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Prepare your cake pan: grease or lightly spray with a neutral-flavored oil or vegan butter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the flax seeds with the hot water. Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flax to bind. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the plant milk, oil, sugar, vanilla, and applesauce. Add flax and mix again.
- Sieve your dry ingredients (cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour, and spices) into a different bowl and combine. Then add them to the wet ingredients and mix with an electric mixer until no lumps remain and the batter is smooth, while not overmixing it.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The cake will be done when there is no wiggle in it and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- Top shortly before serving with vegan whipped cream, followed by washed strawberries. You can add them as a whole, or slice. Enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
Becca | Sugar Salt & Grace says
Hey Jacqui! This is such a showstopping cake. I thought you might like to know I included it in a roundup of every Easter dessert recipe I'd like to make this year!
Hey Becca! Thank you so much for including my cake - that makes me super happy. Great roundup of easter desserts! I wish you all the best.