Enjoy this easy to make Peanut Butter Oreo Ice Cream! An entirely dairy-free treat made on the base of bananas. Smooth homemade vegan ice cream that is loaded with all the Oreo, peanut butter and chocolate good-ness. An indulgent treat that is perfect for summer time!
The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy-free)
- Ice cream on the base of frozen bananas
- Easy to make
- Indulgent and refreshing
- Budget friendly
How to make vegan ice cream
There is many different ways on how to make vegan ice cream. For this recipe we will use frozen bananas as our base. Generally, Plant based ice cream with frozen bananas is often referred to as nice cream. The basic concept is blending frozen bananas in a high speed blender or food processor until creamy. Creating a healthy and entirely vegan base for soft-serve ice cream!
How to freeze bananas
You can actually freeze bananas in a couple of different ways, depending on your style and needs. Firstly you can stick them into your freezer as is, with the peel on. Once frozen stick under hot water for around 30 seconds and the peel will come off.
Secondly, peel bananas before freezing. To store peeled bananas, use a freezer friendly bag or container. Squeeze the air out of your freezer bad, seal it and stick it into your freezer. Generally I recommend the second way of freezing your banana, along with pre-slicing them as well.
How long does it take for bananas to freeze?
It takes 1 - 2 hours for a banana to freeze. If you properly store them, bananas can be stored up to 3 months in your freezer. Beyond that time they will remain safe for eating, but they may lose some of their flavor.
More dessert ideas
Are you a chocolate lover? Then you will love this strawberries and cream chocolate cake recipe! Looking for a creamy dessert? Try one of my favorites: Herrencreme. It's a traditional German recipe made with vanilla pudding, vegan whipped cream and dark chocolate! For more ideas browse our desserts and sweets page.
Peanut Butter Oreo Ice Cream (vegan)
- food processor, or high speed blender
- 4 frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon vegan yogurt
- 10 crushed oreo cookies
- 4 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 cup plant milk (eg almond, coconut, oat)
- ¼ cup chopped nuts, like pecans or peanuts optional
- crushed oreo cookies
- nuts, chopped
- Crush oreo cookies into little pieces. Best way to do this is adding the cookies to your food processor, or blender, and pulse a couple of times. To prevent cookies from sticking to the blades put cookies into freezer for 30 minutes prior blending. Alternatively you could crush them by hand in a silicone bag. Set crushed cookies aside.
- Add your frozen banana banana to cleaned food processor and blend until smooth. Then add and blend remaining ingredients, except nuts (if using) and cookies. Once smooth add crushed cookies and nuts and pulse for several times until they are well incorporated, but still chunky.
- Transfer to bowls and top with more oreo and nuts if wished. Serve immediately or stick into freezer for another 15 minutes to a maximum of 2 hours.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improving my recipes and serve you with best instructions, tips and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.