This Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe is an easy-to-make and healthy dinner. Tastes amazing and makes big batches perfect for meal prep, or feeding a crowd. An Indian-styled dish that is popular for a reason!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Easy to make
- Beginner friendly
- Indian styled kitchen made plant-based
- Filling and bursting with flavors
🌱 Benefits of eating chickpeas
Chickpeas, also known as Garbanzo beans, are packed with nutrients and protein. This has a variety of health benefits ranging from weight management to bone health. Plus their protein content is a great substitute to us for animal based proteins!
Additionally they are a good source of fiber, which makes them a very filling food, that will support your digestive health. They may also help your body manage your blood sugar levels and have many characteristics that may help prevent chronic diseases like heart disease, cancer and diabetes. On top of all that: they are super affordable and easy to find in your local grocery store! (source)
There are a lot of fun variations you can try out to make a Tikka Masala your own!
Change up the grain: Instead of rice serve it with quinoa, couscous, riced cauliflower, bulgur or farro.
Tofu: Swap the chickpeas to tofu! It is a great plant-based protein source that is not only delicious but also so healthy. It contains all essential amino acids!
Store-Bought faux meat: There is a huge variety of vegan 'chicken' available in our stores nowadays. Swap the chickpeas to your favorite ready-to-go vegan chick'n!
Cauliflower florets: Adding Cauliflower changes it up and gives the curry a great flavor and texture!
Topping ideas: cilantro, basil, lime/lime juice, green onions, naan, toasted nuts, peas, dollops of vegan sour cream or raita
Store in an air-tight container separated from rice in your fridge for up to 5 days. Re-warm on the stovetop or in the microwave.
❄️ How to freeze
Store in the freezer separated from rice for up to 3 months in freezer-safe containers or bags. Label with the date of freezing.
🥘 More meal ideas
Looking for more vegan Curry meals? Check out this Japanese curry with vegan 'Beef'. Are you in the mood for another easy-to-make recipe? Try this hummus pasta bake - it will become one of your new favorites! For more vegan meal ideas browse our recipe page.
Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala Recipe
- Non-stick Skillet
- ½ diced white onion
- ½ diced red onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cm piece of freshly grated ginger freshly (a little less than an inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 heaping tsp garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can of tomato puree (800g / 28 oz)
- 1 can of coconut milk (400ml / 14 oz)
- 2 cans of chickpeas (2x425g / 2x15 oz)
- cilantro for topping
- cooked grain of choice (rice, quinoa, couscous etc.)
- other serving options: vegan naan bread, lime, toasted nuts etc.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Once heated add onions and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until translucent. Add cumin, ginger, and garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes. Then add seasonings: garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, salt and cook for 1 minute, until nice and fragrant.
- Add chickpeas and fold around, so they’ll be covered in spices for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then add tomato puree and coconut milk, stir to combine, and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes over low heat. Then stir and simmer 10 minutes uncovered.
- Cook rice or other grain of choice.
- Add seasonings to taste. Serve hot over a bed of rice with sliced naan. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.