Vegan Oil Free Mayo that is creamy, thick, and so easy to make! It is made out of Silken Tofu and seasonings. Making it a great alternative to store bought mayo containing oil. In fact, this recipe is budget-friendly and healthy. Use this mayo for salad dressings, sandwich spreads and more!
The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy-free)
- Oil and nut free
- Made with silken tofu instead of oil
- Creamy and tangy
- Healthy alternative to regular mayo
- Easy and quick to make
Ways to use
This mayo is versatile! Simply use it as you would use regular store bought mayonnaise. Spread it on your sandwiches, dip into veggies, or make other dips and dressings out of it. To make aioli add fresh garlic, to make fry sauce mix with your favorite ketchup. As another idea, try it with our German potato salad recipe!
How does mayo out of tofu taste?
Since you're using tofu instead of oil for its base, this mayo does have a subtle “soy” flavor on its own. Once you add it to other ingredients and dishes, you won't be able to tell the difference!
You are not a fan of soy flavor at all? Then this tofu based mayo recipe may not be the one for you!
Vegan Oil Free Mayo
- high speed blender, food processor or immersion blender
- 450 g silken tofu 16 oz
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt optional
- ½ teaspoon cane sugar optional
Variation for oil-free aioli
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, pressed the more garlic you add the stronger the garlic taste will be
- Gently remove the tofu from its package and drain it. Try to remove as much water as you can. Don't worry about breaking it since you're going to blend it anyways.
- Then transfer tofu to either a blender, food processor, or into a high jar/cup of an immersion blender. Blend until smooth (for around a minute). Then add remaining ingredients. If making aioli, add presser garlic as well. Blend until smooth. Taste mayo and add more seasonings if necessary according to your taste. The Mayo will thicken more in the fridge overnight!
- Transfer and store in a clean/sterile sealable air tight container in the refrigerator (for example a mason jar). It keeps fresh for about one to two weeks.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improving my recipes and serve you with best instructions, tips and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
Easy and tasty!