Hawaiian vegan meatball sub - the perfect EASY appetizer to make for your next party! These delicious meatless sandwiches are made with Hawaiian rolls, plant based meatballs and marinara sauce. Topped with your favorite vegan Mozzarella and Parmesan.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Easy to make
- The perfect appetizer for your next party
- Low effort meal
- Quick to make
- So delicious!
🥘 Ingredients and where to find them
The ingredients for this Hawaiian Vegan Meatball Sub don't differ too much from a regular Hawaiian meatball sub. Instead of using animal derived products we're choosing their vegan counterparts!
You will need sweet Hawaiian Rolls, which you can either grab at your grocery store or make yourself. Check ingredient list before buying the rolls. (Sara Lee brand appears to be vegan.) You want to make sure they don't have eggs or milk added. Additionally you need a good Marinara sauce, some pineapple chunks, fresh basil and seasonings.
I personally like to use the vegan meatballs from Cutting Vedge, since they have a great texture and taste. Overall, plant-based meatballs are great to use since you don't have to precook them to ensure them being safe to eat. Simply add Cutting Vedge meatballs frozen to the bread and bake! Other vegan brands include IKEA, gardein, beyond meat, and more!
More Vegan Party Food
Looking for more vegan party food ideas? Serve your guests this delicious German potato salad, this broccoli pasta salad, or this rustic tomato galette. These grilled and marinated zucchini crostini, and cucumber rolls make fantastic appetizers! For more meal ideas browse our recipe page.
Hawaiian Vegan Meatball Sub
- 12 rolls vegan Hawaiian rolls
- 12 vegan meatballs
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon vegan parmesan cheese, grated for sprinkling
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1 cup Pineapple chunks (200g)
- 1 cup Marinara sauce (250g)
- 1 ½ cup vegan mozzarella shreds (200g)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 355°F / 180°C degrees. Place the buns on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a pan heat ½ tablespoon Olive oil. Once hot add chopped red onion and cook until translucent. Then add Pineapple chunks and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat. Add Marinara Sauce and ½ cup of vegan Mozzarella shreds. Once Mozzarella is melted into sauce, add Italian Seasoning. Add some water if too thick. Take off heat and set aside. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a small knife and/or spoon make a hole in the top of each Hawaiian Roll, making it big enough for the meatballs and some sauce to fit in. Don’t cut all the way through (keep in mind that the meatballs are not meant to fit entirely inside the hole, only half way). In a small bowl, stir together melted remaining tablespoon of olive oil, minced garlic and basil. Brush the oil mixture into and the hole and on top of each bun.
- Put a pinch of grated mozzarella cheese into each hole, followed by a spoonful of sauce and a vegan meatball. Spoon more pasta sauce over each meatball. Cover meatballs with remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with some vegan parmesan. Cover the dish with a lid, or foil, and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with basil. Enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.