Herrencreme - A delicious German dessert made with homemade vanilla pudding, (vegan) whipped cream, rum and dark chocolate shavings.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (Egg-free & Dairy-free)
- Easy to make
- Creamy and light
- Perfect dessert after heavy meals
🇩🇪 What is 'Herrencreme'?
You may never have heard about this dessert since now. Simply put Herrencreme is a German dessert pudding. Translated "Herren" means "Gentlemen", and "Creme" is "Creme".
It is homemade vanilla pudding mixed with (vegan) whipped cream, dark chocolate shavings, and a good amount of rum. The white rum and dark chocolate are the heart and essence of this dessert. The rum needs to be strong enough for its taste to come through, but should not overwhelm the creme. The same goes for dark chocolate. Veganizing this dessert was very dear to my heart because it resembles a piece of my local origin. It’s a piece of home.
Herrencreme originates in Westfalen (Westphalia), which is the area I’m from. It is traditionally eaten after big meals and is especially popular as a Westphalian German wedding dessert. However, since it’s so simple and delicious, it is popular all over Germany on many special occasions nowadays. My family often made this creamy dessert for Christmas. It’s the perfect light dessert, after a hearty and heavy holiday feast.
🤵 Why is it called 'Gentlemen Creme'?
The Gentlemen Creme has lots of dark chocolate and rum added and was intended to appeal primarily to male customers. It is less sweet than most other desserts and specialty cakes. According to the Internet, the name was formed analogously to the German term "Herrenschokolade" (men's chocolate), meaning dark bitter chocolate.
Since we are using plant-based whipped cream instead of a dairy-based one it will keep fresh longer! Store covered in your fridge for up to one week.
🍮 More dessert ideas
Looking for more plant-based pudding recipes? Try this healthy refined sugar-free black forest flaxseed pudding. Or make these scrumptious fruit tarts with custard. For more ideas and recipes browse our dessert page.
Herrencreme — German Gentlemen Creme (vegan)
- saucepan, mixing bowl
- 500 mililiters plant milk (e.g. almond) (2 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 1 package vanilla pudding powder for cooking* (43g / 1.5 oz)
- 30 grams organic cane sugar (2 tbsp)
- 2 shots rum, more if wished (8 cl)
- 200 grams vegan whipped cream* (7 oz)
- 100 grams grated or chopped vegan dark chocolate (3.5 oz)
- Pulse cane sugar in a kitchen machine, or blender, several times for 3 seconds until finely ground. Mix pudding powder with fine raw sugar in a small bowl. Then gradually mix with 6 tablespoons of cold vegetable milk.
- In a saucepan, mix the remaining milk and rum, bring to a boil briefly, then remove from heat. Then whisk the mixed custard powder into the heated milk-rum mixture. Now return the saucepan to the stove and simmer the pudding over medium heat for 1 min, stirring vigorously. Transfer to a bowl and cover the still hot pudding with plastic wrap and let cool for several hours.
- Roughly chop, or grate, dark chocolate and set aside.
- Depending on which vegan whipped cream you use, prepare according to package instructions or follow the recipe, whip until stiff.
- Stir cooled pudding briefly until smooth, then fold in whipped cream with a wooden spoon. Once blended well, fold in chocolate shavings (reserve some for garnish). Taste and add more rum if needed. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate and chill until ready to serve.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.