Herrencreme - A delicious German dessert made with homemade vanilla pudding, (vegan) whipped cream, rum and dark chocolate shavings.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (Egg-free & Dairy-free)
- Easy to make
- Creamy and light
- Perfect dessert after heavy meals
🇩🇪 What is 'Herrencreme'?
You may never have heard about this dessert since now. Simply put Herrencreme is a German dessert pudding. Translated "Herren" means "Gentlemen", and "Creme" is "Creme".
It is homemade vanilla pudding mixed with (vegan) whipped cream, dark chocolate shavings, and a good amount of rum. The white rum and dark chocolate are the heart and essence of this dessert. The rum needs to be strong enough for its taste to come through, but should not overwhelm the creme. The same goes for dark chocolate. Veganizing this dessert was very dear to my heart because it resembles a piece of my local origin. It’s a piece of home.
Herrencreme originates in Westfalen (Westphalia), which is the area I’m from. It is traditionally eaten after big meals and is especially popular as a Westphalian German wedding dessert. However, since it’s so simple and delicious, it is popular all over Germany on many special occasions nowadays. My family often made this creamy dessert for Christmas. It’s the perfect light dessert, after a hearty and heavy holiday feast.
🤵 Why is it called 'Gentlemen Creme'?
The Gentlemen Creme has lots of dark chocolate and rum added and was intended to appeal primarily to male customers. It is less sweet than most other desserts and specialty cakes. According to the Internet, the name was formed analogously to the German term "Herrenschokolade" (men's chocolate), meaning dark bitter chocolate.
Since we are using plant-based whipped cream instead of a dairy-based one it will keep fresh longer! Store covered in your fridge for up to one week.
🍮 More dessert ideas
Looking for more plant-based pudding recipes? Try this healthy refined sugar-free black forest flaxseed pudding. Or make these scrumptious fruit tarts with custard. For more ideas and recipes browse our dessert page.
Herrencreme — German Gentlemen Creme (vegan)
- saucepan, mixing bowl
- 500 ml plant milk (e.g. almond) (2 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 1 package vanilla pudding powder for cooking* (43g / 1.5 oz)
- 30 g organic cane sugar (2 tbsp)
- 2 shots rum, more if wished (8 cl)
- 200 g vegan whipped cream* (7 oz)
- 100 g grated or chopped vegan dark chocolate (3.5 oz)
- Pulse cane sugar in a kitchen machine, or blender, several times for 3 seconds until finely ground. Mix pudding powder with fine raw sugar in a small bowl. Then gradually mix with 6 tablespoons of cold vegetable milk.
- In a saucepan, mix the remaining milk and rum, bring to a boil briefly, then remove from heat. Then whisk the mixed custard powder into the heated milk-rum mixture. Now return the saucepan to the stove and simmer the pudding over medium heat for 1 min, stirring vigorously. Transfer to a bowl and cover the still hot pudding with plastic wrap and let cool for several hours.
- Roughly chop, or grate, dark chocolate and set aside.
- Depending on which vegan whipped cream you use, prepare according to package instructions or follow the recipe, whip until stiff.
- Stir cooled pudding briefly until smooth, then fold in whipped cream with a wooden spoon. Once blended well, fold in chocolate shavings (reserve some for garnish). Taste and add more rum if needed. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate and chill until ready to serve.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
I’ve never heard of this dessert but it sounds incredibly delicious. Thanks for sharing. I’ll make it soon.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Kayla DiMaggio says
Okay, you were right, I had never heard of this before but oh my goodness was this delicious! I loved that it wasn't overly sweet!
You put a big smile on my face with this comment! Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. Happy holidays!
This is such a light & creamy dessert, the perfect treat after a big lunch. It's so easy to make and incredibly delicious. Yum!
Thank you for your feedback!
It was interesting reading about the background. I love this light and creamy dessert after a hearty meal, thank you for sharing the recipe!
I'm happy to hear that. Thank you so much for the feedback, Emily.
Andrea White says
Need to make this ASAP! Looks so good!
Yes you do! It's incredibly delish. Thank you for your kind comment.
I love the simple ingredients!! This is so delicious!
Thanks so much Sam!
Yum! I loved all of the flavors in this dessert and am so glad I gave it a try. They blended together beautifully!
Thank you so much for the feedback Anaiah!
what a funny name for sucha delicious dessert!!