This sweet Vegan Ricotta Cheese recipe is crazy simple! Make an incredibly pleasing dairy-free Ricotta cheese for your sweet tooth. It comes refined sugar free, is vegan, and gluten free — everyone will feel good about this sweet treat!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Easy to make and quick
- Nut free: Budget friendly recipe
- Made with protein packed tofu
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
- Creamy and sweet
📖 Meal ideas
Ricotta is a soft, mild cheese popular, especially in Italian cuisine. It is often used in savory dishes, such as ravioli, lasagna, and tortellini or salads. But you can even use it in sweet dishes like crêpes or pancakes.
This recipe is a base for many wonderful variations, so I encourage you to be creative with it! You could add fresh orange zest instead of lemon or a dash of cardamom for different flavors.
This vegan ricotta cheese is made on the base of mashed tofu. It is best made with a food processor or high-speed blender. However, if you don't have either you can use a potato masher or fork instead. It may take a bit longer than with a food processor, but tastes just as great!
🥘 Savory Ricotta
If you're planning on making a savory dish, use my savory ricotta cheese recipe instead of this sweet one!
You can store the tofu ricotta in a sealed container or airtight zipped bag in the fridge for up to 5-7 days. When ready to use, stir and dig in!
❄️ How to freeze
This recipe is not freezer friendly.
Sweet Vegan Ricotta Cheese Recipe (refined sugar and gluten free)
- food processor, or high speed blender
- 1 Block of firm tofu (14 oz / 400g)
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon tahinia
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup, or date syrup
- 2 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 tablespoon plant based yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
With a food processor/mixer:
- Gather all ingredients. Combine them in your food processor, or blender. Blend everything until smooth and creamy. Your ricotta is ready to be used – enjoy!
Without a food processor/mixer:
- Mash the ingredients together using the back of a potato masher or fork. Mix and mash until all ingredients are incorporated and the whole mix is mainly smooth. It may take a bit longer than with a mixer or food processor. You could also use a fine colander to crumble the tofu into a paste. This will help give it a more cheese-like consistency.