Looking for a spectacular vegan celebration cake to wow your guests with? This three-layer vegan surprise cake will delight all your guests! This fluffy vegan vanilla sponge cake is surrounded by a cream cheese frosting and is filled with the sweetest surprise. Colorful sprinkles and candy will tumble out when you cut into it.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- A Piñata in cake form
- Simple to make
- Fun for every age
💭 What sprinkles and candy should I use?
What sprinkles and candy you end up using to decorate the cake is totally up to you. Fill this vegan piñata cake with whatever vegan candy and sprinkles you like best! To find the best vegan brands read my guide on vegan sprinkles.
I like to use Katjes Rainbow gummies for the candy since they are entirely plant-based (no animal gelatin) and palm oil free. Their rainbow gummies are so cute, and they make the perfect decoration on the outside of the cake as well!
🍰 How to
I recommend using my vanilla sponge cake recipe. It is super fluffy, delicious and the batter is easily colored if you'd like to add even more color! It tastes incredibly great with my vegan cream cheese frosting. Both recipes are super simple and easy to make. Even beginners can create this stunning surprise piñata cake!
However, feel free to use any vegan cake (that is suitable for layer cakes) and frosting recipe that you like.
Assembling the cake is surprisingly (hehe) easy, as well! Place a whole cake layer on a rotating cake stand or serving plate. Then, by using a round cookie cutter, or small cake cutter, cut a circle into another layer. Spread a layer of frosting on top and smooth. Top with the cut cake layer and fill the hole with sprinkles and candy. Spread frosting on the edges, then top with the remaining whole cake layer. Frost side and top of the cake and decorate as desired.
To store the frosted cake cover with a big cover. Or put it in a cake box and wrap it in plastic. Thankfully the buttercream coating acts as a protective layer to the cake. It will last for approximately five days in the fridge. However, this highly depends on the humidity and the temperature. For the best experience add gummy candy shortly before serving and eat as fresh as possible!
Vegan Surprise Cake
- Cake Pans, Mixing Bowl, Electric Mixer, 3 or 4 inch round Cake (or cookie) Cutter
- 3 layers of vegan vanilla sponge cake
- 1 batch of vegan cream cheese frosting
- ¼ - ¾ cup vegan sprinkles
- ¼ - ½ cup vegan candies e.g. Katjes rainbow gummies
- Make vegan cream cheese frosting and store in fridge until ready to use.
- Prepare 3 layers of vanilla sponge cakes. Let them cool completely before assembling.
- If you mix sprinkles and several kinds of candy, add everything into a small bowl and mix to combine.
- If needed, flatten cake layers by trimming off rounded tops. In 1 layer, cut small round out of center, using a 3-inch round cutter for a 6 inch cake, or a 4-inch round cutter for an 8-inch cake.
- To assemble cake: Place 1 uncut cake layer on rotating cake stand; spread ⅓ cup frosting on top. Top with the cored layer. Fill cake with candies and sprinkles and gently press candies to level. Then frost the top, and top with another full cake layer.
- Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting and decorate as desired. Transfer to a cake stand, keep in fridge until served.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.