This decorative Easy Vegan Sheet Cake has layers of strawberry pudding, vegan whipped cream and graham crackers. Plant based gummy candy make an easy, yet spectacular way to decorate your celebration sheet cake!
This post is supported by Katjes but as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. A big thanks to the supporting brands that make The Simple Sprinkle possible.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Simple, yet decorative
- Perfect for feeding a birthday crowd
- Kid friendly
🍰 Easy ways to decorate a sheet cake
There is many ways on how to decorate a simple sheet cake, but if you find yourself not having days ahead of time to plan and decorate your cake, this version will be perfect! Add a layer of homemade strawberry pudding, then vegan whipped cream and top with cookies and candy of choice! I like to use vegan Graham crackers, but other shortbread or butter cookies work fantastic too.
Using your favorite vegan candy is a great way add a splash of color without a lot of work. I prefer the vegan gummy candy from Katjes. They are entirely plant based (no animal gelatin), they are palm oil free, and they don't use high fructose corn syrup. Plus, they have a fun selection of flavors and are just SO delicious!
Store completely cooled and unfrosted sheet cake covered and wrapped in plastic at room temperature for up to 3 days. It is best to frost and decorate the cake the day it's being eaten, or the night before. Store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
❄️ How to freeze
Place leftover cake on a sheet in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours, until frosting is solid. Transfer to a freezer bag, squeeze out any excess air, and seal. Label with the date of freezing. It keeps fresh for 3 months if stored properly.
🎂 More vegan birthday ideas
This vegan surprise layer cake will excite everyone around the birthday table! If you are looking for a healthy birthday treat I recommend this gluten free and whole-foods plant-based carrot cake recipe. For more ideas browse our recipe page.
Easy Vegan Sheet Cake with Strawberries and Cream
- 10x15 inch sheet pan (15x40cm)
- 350 g all purpose flour (12.3 oz)
- 300 g organic cane sugar (10.5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 120 ml vegetable oil (4.2 oz)
- 350 ml plant milk of choice e.g. almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 packages of vanilla sugar (18g), or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 ml lemon juice 2 tbsp
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- candied zest from 1 lemon
- 1 package of vanilla pudding powder (37g)
- 180 ml plant milk, or water (6 fl oz)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- 200 g strawberries (7 oz)
Whipped cream layer and decoration
- 200-300 g of vegan whipped cream* (7-10 oz)
- 1 package of vegan graham crackers
- 1 package of vegan Gummy Candy, I use Katjes' “Love & Stars” Gummy Candy
Baking the Cake, if using different sheet cake recipe skip to prepare strawberry pudding:
- Make your favorite sheet cake recipe, or use this vanilla lemon cake recipe. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355ºF. Prepare your sheet by spaying or buttering it. Set aside
- If making yourself prepare zest lemon and candy zest. In a measuring cup add plant milk and vinegar and set aside to clabber for 5-10 minutes.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl and add sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add oil to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until all dry ingredients are covered in fat. Add vanilla sugar, or extract and lemon zest into the clabbered milk and whisk to combine. Add clabbered milk and rest of the ingredients, lemon juice and extract to a mixing bowl and whisk quickly with an electric mixer until the batter is smooth. Fold in candied lemon with a spatula.
- Bake cake for 20-30 minutes. The cakes are done when the edges are golden and have pulled away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
Prepare Strawberry Pudding:
- For the pudding layer, boil 4.7 fl oz / 140ml of plant milk (or water). Mix the remaining water with pudding powder. Stir into the boiling water, bring to a boil and stir in the strawberries. Bring to a boil again and let simmer for 20 minutes. If you want it to be sweeter stir in some maple syrup. Remove from heat and let cool briefly.
Preparing vegan Whipped Cream
- I using a store bough vegan whipping cream follow package instructions. Or use my vegan whipped cream recipe. Cool in fridge until ready to use.
- When your cake is fully cooled, spread the fruit pudding on your sheet cake. Set into fridge to cool and firm. Once set spread vegan whipped cream on top of the pudding and place divided graham crackers close together on top of the cream. Keep refrigerated until shortly before serving. Decorate with vegan Gummy Candy right before serving.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.