This 3 Ingredient Tomato Sauce is perfect for lazy weeknight dinners. It goes well with pasta, vegan sausages, polenta, and more. It is ready in just minutes and is a low-budget meal with an estimated 1.30$ per serving.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- Quick and easy to make
- Uses only 3 ingredients
- Low budget meal: 1.30$ per serving
👩🏽🍳 How do you season tomato sauce?
Start seasoning your tomato sauce with salt, black pepper, and an Italian seasoning mix. Think of these as a starting point! If you are not on a tight budget and have more time, you can add other seasonings such as red pepper flakes, garlic, or onion (you can use both fresh or ground). Other times, you might want to stir in some vegan red wine, or fresh herbs, like basil, parsley or oregano. Another option is stirring freshly grated vegan parmesan in at the end of cooking.
Add it all to your saucepan, heat up and you are done!
🥦 What vegetables can you add to tomato sauce?
Despite the seasonings mentioned above, fantastic add-ins can be vegetables such as bell pepper, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, or artichokes.
🌿 How can I add vegan protein to my tomato sauce?
Some great plant-based proteins include tofu, lentils, beans, or TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein). Check out this Bolognese sauce recipe that uses crumbled tofu.
Store-bought ground beef alternatives can also be great additions to your sauce! A few fantastic brands for plant-based ground beef include Gardein, Beyond Meat, Impossible, Lightlife, and Cutting Vedge.
If you are looking for a healthier, unprocessed ground beef alternative add my pulled tofu crumble recipe.
Store in an air-tight glass, jar, or container. It keeps fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
❄️ How to freeze
Store in a freezer-safe container or bag, and label with the date of freezing. It keeps fresh for up to 4 months if stored properly.
3 Ingredient Tomato Sauce (low budget vegan)
- small saucepan, pot to cook pasta
- 1 can tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 1-2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 200 g pasta of your choice to serve with (7 oz)
- Add tomato sauce and Italian seasoning to the saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste and whisk together. Bring to a boil and let simmer for another minute or two.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Serve hot with tomato sauce. Optional: Sprinkle with nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.