Make this easy Cherry Compote for cake with just 3 simple ingredients. It is ready in just 15 minutes! This compote recipe is super versatile. Use it as a topping, or filling on cakes, ice cream, pancakes, oatmeal, and much more. It is entirely vegan, dairy and gluten-free.
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy-free)
- Only 3 Ingredients
- Made in less than 15 minutes
- Versatile - use to complement your desserts
What is a compote?
Compote is a fruity dessert made of whole or pieces of fruit in sugar syrup or fruit sauce. The fruits are cooked in water with sugar and spices. It can be seasoned with spices such as vanilla, lemon or orange peel, a dash of liquor, cinnamon, and more. Use it to complement your desserts as desired!
Can I use other cherries than tart cherries? Yes, as an alternative use morello, sour, fresh, or frozen cherries. Make sure the cherries you are using are pitted.
👩🏽🍳 How to make a cherry compote for cake
Making cherry compote at home is super quick and easy! Mix the starch with the juice of the cherries and sugar in a saucepan together. Add drained and pitted cherries and stir to combine. Bring it to a boil briefly while stirring. Let simmer on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened and desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Store and enjoy!
🍒 What to do with cherry compote?
This Cherry Compote is perfect for cake but very generally very versatile. Use it as a topping, filling, sauce, swirl, or spread for:
- Ice Cream
- French Toast
- Pudding (including chia or flax pudding)
- (vegan) whipped cream
- Yogurt or Quark
- Glass desserts, mousse and other mini desserts
- As a filling for pies or cinnamon rolls
- Sweet dip as part of a charcuterie board
🍋 Flavor variations
This cherry compote is versatile and easily flavored to fit your taste and needs. Some flavor variation ideas include:
- Lemon zest or orange zest (add before cooking)
- Ground cinnamon or ginger (add before cooking)
- Almond extract (add before cooking)
- Liquor such as Kirsch, Amaretto, or Chambord (add before cooking)
- Vanilla bean or vanilla extract (add after cooking)
- Balsamic vinegar (add after cooking)
- Lemon juice or orange juice (add after cooking)
- Fresh mint or basil leaves (add after cooking)
- Freshly ground black pepper (add after cooking)
- Hint of chili (add after cooking)
This easy cherry compote will stay fresh in a clean sanitized airtight container (such as a mason jar) in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
❄️ How to freeze
Freeze in a freezer-safe bag or container with enough room for the compote to expand. It keeps fresh for up to 3 months. Thaw fruit compote in the fridge overnight before using.
Cherry Compote for Cake
- sieve, saucepan, a jar to store compote
- Drain cherries over a sieve, keeping the juice. In a saucepan mix starch with the juice and sugar. Then add drained cherries and whisk together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil briefly while stirring. Let simmer on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened and desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Store in a sanitized air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.