An easy vegan Pomegranate Cake featuring a simple golden, vanilla batter topped with juicy pomegranate arils. It's the perfect holiday and coffee cake. A holiday Pomegranate Cake that is pantry friendly, and whipped together in minutes. Fruity deliciousness at its best!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free
- Easy and quick to make
- Pantry friendly
- Simple, yet so delicious
- Holiday dessert (Christmas & Thanksgiving)
- Winter cake
☃️ A festive holiday coffee cake!
Pomegranates are in season from the end of September through February. Making this cake the perfect winter cake! Despite pomegranates being simply delicious, they are extremely high in antioxidants.
So, decorate your holiday table with a dessert that bursts of color and flavor. I hope this festive Pomegranate cake makes your holidays more healthy, merry, and bright.
💭 How to cut a pomegranate?
There is different methods of cutting pomegranate. Some people cut them in half through the middle and use a spoon to whack the arils out of the pomegranate. However this can be a rather messy method. Often you end up bruising a lot of the seeds and Pomegranate juice could stain. In other words, be careful when cutting and de-seeding your pomegranate. Love & Lemons has a great Step by step guide on how to cut pomegranates easily without destroying lots of arils.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temprature.
❄️ How to freeze
To freeze add to freezer-friendly container or bag. Label with the date of freezing. It keeps fresh for up to 3 months if stored properly in your freezer.
👩🏽🍳 Serving ideas
Serve as is or with vegan vanilla ice cream, or vegan whipped cream!
🍰 More dessert ideas
If you're looking for more holiday treats check out this German Cutout Christmas Cookies recipe. If you are looking for more easy-to-make cakes you gotta try this incredible quick Coffee Cake recipe! For more ideas browse our recipe page.
Easy Pomegranate Cake (vegan)
- Ø 20cm / 8" round cake pan
- 225 g cake flour, or unbleached all-purpose (1 ½ cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100 g vegan butter (ca. 6 tbsp)
- 95 g cane sugar (½ cup)
- 75 g apple sauce (¼ cup)
- 120 ml plant milk eg: almond, soy, oat (½ cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 130 g pomegranate arils (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar optional for topping
- Seed your pomegranate. Place the pomegranate arils on a clean kitchen towel to remove some of the moisture and set aside. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F. Generously grease your cake pan (either with butter or cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer beat the butter until creamy. Add cane sugar and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Turn down the mixer and slowly blend in the applesauce, milk, and vanilla. With the mixer on low, gradually mix in the flour mixture until just combined.
- With a spatula scrape the batter into your prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the pomegranate arils on top of the batter and lightly press them down.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180°C / 350°F. Then reduce the oven temperature to 160°F / 325°F and continue baking for 50 to 60 minutes, or until no batter sticks to a toothpick when inserted into the center of the cake. Let cake cool down for at least 10-15 minutes in pan before removing.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.
I made this today. Instead of milk, I used strawberry puree for flavor and some color. It was a big hit! Looking forward to making some of you other recipes. 🙂
Thank you so much for your review - I am glad you enjoyed it. Strawberry sounds amazing in this, have to try in the future!
This is such a beautiful cake and absolutely delicious too! I love the wholesome ingredients.
Thank you so much Same!
Kayla DiMaggio says
This pomegranate cake is so fun and festive! I am a huge lover of pomegranates and this was so delicious!
Thank you Kayla! Pomegranate is just the best during Christmas time.
This pomegranate cake is absolutely delicious and super easy to make. I love pomegranates and I'm always looking for some unique recipes to use them up. Your recipe is hit the spot! What a lovely vegan dessert idea, thank you!
That makes me so happy to hear Marinela! It really is a great way to use those leftover pomegranates. The perfect quick and easy cake during December!
Delicious! This cake will be perfect for Christmas morning!
Wow this pomegranate cake looks incredibly delicious. I’ve never tried this and you have inspired me to bake one. Thanks for the recipe.
Andrea White says
This cake is something special! So unique and soooo delicious!
Thank you so much Andrea!
This cake would be perfect to bake over Christmas when I have my family over at mine! Love how jolly the colour of this cake is with lots of pomegranate, one of my favourite fruits! Thanks for the lovely recipe.
Thank you so much Maiko! This feedback makes me so happy.
I love this cake. Looks fluffy, sweet and these pomegranate seeds on top, a bet they bring so much freshness in every bite. I have to make it for my family. Thnaks!
Thank you Natalie. You definitely should, it's such a great and easy recipe.
you make the cutest desserts!! this pomegranate cake was sweet and tart and super addictive
Thank you so much Nancy!