These Cinnamon Streusel Muffins have a sweet, crunchy layer of Cinnamon Streusel! The fluffy and hearty no-sugar cake is filled with fresh apple pieces. They are perfect for breakfast, but go well in the afternoon with a cup of coffee, or tea too. In fact, they are so easy to make, addictive and vegan. You just have to try these - the crumbly sweet streusel topping is to die for!
The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy-free)
- Healthy plant based baking
- Streusel made with oats for extra nutrition
- Muffin made with spelt flour for extra nutrition
- Perfect breakfast with a cup of coffee, or tea
- Simple and quick to make
Using spelt flour
For a healthier muffin this recipe uses spelt flour. In fact, spelt is a very versatile flour. Its texture is quite light and airy, compared to other whole grain flours. Spelt adds not only more nutrition, but also a a nutty flavor and light sweetness to your baked goods.
Overall, you can use spelt flour in a variety of food including cakes, breads, scones, and even chocolate chip cookies, or waffles.
Can I use all purpose flour instead of spelt?
Yes, you can. Feel free to substitute the spelt flour with regular unbleached all purpose flour, or even whole wheat flour. However, I personally think the spelt flour gives these muffins extra nutrition, depth of flavor and highlights the cinnamon - so delicious!
To store muffins up to 3 days in an airtight container or zip-lock bag lined with a paper towel at room temperature. To keep fresh for longer store in fridge for around 5 days. Store the muffins in a single layer!
Cool muffins completely before wrapping and freezing. To freeze, wrap securely in freezer wrap, or place in freezer friendly bags. Label all packages with the name of the recipe and the date. Muffins can be stored frozen for up to 3 months. Muffins can be thawed completely at room temperature, or heat frozen muffins in the microwave or conventional oven.
More vegan sweets
Cinnamon Streusel Muffin (vegan)
- muffin papers (optional), 12 cup muffin tray or 6 cup jumbo muffin tray, electric mixer
- 60 g vegan butter (2.1 oz)
- 50 g old fashioned oats (1.7 oz)
- 50 g spelt flour* (1.7 oz)
- 60 g organic cane sugar (2.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple of choice
- 300 g spelt flour (10.5 oz)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 4g
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- A pinch of salt
- 75 ml vegetable oil (2.5 fl oz)
- 50 g apple sauce (1.7 oz)
- 250 ml plant milk (eg almond milk) (8.4 fl oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 ml sparkling water (1.7 fl oz)
- Preheat oven to 355°F / 180°C. Lightly grease your muffin tray, or line with muffin papers.
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix together with a fork until crumbly. Cover and put it in the fridge.
- Chop the apple into small pieces or cubes. You can peel it if preferred, but you don't have to. Either way will be fine for this recipe. Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, flax meal and salt.
- Add vegetable oil, apple sauce, almond milk and vanilla extract to dry ingredients and mix together with electric hand or stand mixer until smooth. Then add sparkling water and quickly mix together. The dough should have a rather thick consistency. With a spatula gently fold apple pieces into the dough.
Preparing the Muffins
- With an ice cream scoop (or two tablespoons), evenly place muffin dough into the tray. Leave some space for the streusel. Once your muffin tray is filled with dough crumble the chilled streusel on top.
- Put into oven and bake for 35-40 Minutes. To check if the muffins are ready, use a toothpick and place it into one of the muffins. If the dough sticks to it, it is still raw, and the muffins need more time. Take the muffins out when ready and let them cool down. Enjoy!
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improving my recipes and serve you with best instructions, tips and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.