Are you ready for a very delicious treat? This tasty Vegan Crumb Cake is layered with apple slices and a sweet jam then topped off with a crisp German-styled cinnamon crumb. Layers of sweet vanilla cake, tangy jam, apple slices, and streusel will excite everyone. This coffee cake is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy it in the morning or afternoon, with friends or alone!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy-free)
- Easy and quick to make coffee cake
- German styled baking made plant based
- Versatile: works with other fruit, or without
- Pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee, or tea
What is the crumb on crumb cake made of?
Crumb cakes (or coffee cakes), are a soft and moist cake batter topped with a crumb. But what is the crumb on crumb cake made of? It usually contains butter, flour, and sugar.
However, it can include a variety of different flavors! Crumbs can be seasoned with either cinnamon, nuts or nut flours, extracts, or even mixed in fruit. Overall a crumb cake is typically served in the afternoon, or morning, with coffee or tea. Despite the name, a coffee cake itself doesn't contain any coffee usually.
What's the difference between streusel and crumbs
The answer is fairly easy since they are basically the same thing. However, they can have different ratios of sugar to fat to flour. For this specific vegan crumb cake recipe, we will make a German-style streusel.
What pudding powder to use
This recipe asks for vanilla pudding powder, such as Jell-O Instant pudding powder. The cook and serve variety works too but needs less plant milk than the recipe asks for (around 200 - 250ml instead).
Keep the baked cake covered, in an airtight container, at room temperature where it will stay fresh for a few days. Or cover and store the cake in the fridge where it will last for up to a week!
❄️ How to freeze
If wished, you can freeze the baked cake for up to 3 months. Wrap well, or place in freezer bag, and label with the date of freezing. To defrost: Thaw in the refrigerator over night, or at room temperature. If you are thawing it at room temperature, leave the cake wrapped up. It will take around 1 to 2 hours to thaw.
More vegan desserts
Vegan Crumb Cake with Apples
- Size of Baking Pan: 9x9"inch / 23 x 23cm
- 80 grams vegan butter melted
- 70 grams cane sugar
- 100 grams all purpose flour unbleached
- 40 grams oats
- 120 grams vegan butter melted
- 300 mililiters unsweetened plant milk (eg almond milk)
- 1 package vanilla pudding powder around 38g
- 150 grams cane sugar
- 260 grams all purpose flour unbleached
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
Cake Topping (in between Dough & Streusel)
- 1-2 apples or other fruit of your choice
- jam or applesauce
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven at 180°C (355°F). Spray or lay parchment paper in your baking pan. Wash your fruit and cut into thin slices – set aside.
- Melt vegan butter. Mix all ingredients for the Streusel in one bowl. Then slowly pour in the margarine with a fork. Mix until you got a nice crumble. Set aside.
- Melt vegan butter. In a mixing bowl combine with a whisk 200ml of the almond milk with the Instant vanilla pudding-powder until powder dissolved completely. Don’t stir the Pudding too much, we don't want it to get too firm.
- While stirring add the melted margarine. Mix until everything is combined. In a separate bowl you mix flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and baking powder together. Add dry ingredients one-by-one to the fluid ones - first with a whisk. When dough gets to dry add the remaining milk. Quickly stir with a spatula to a smooth, firm dough. Don’t stir longer than necessary.
Layering the Cake
- Add dough into the prepared baking tray and smooth down. Layer jam or applesauce and fruit onto the dough with a spoon or spatula. Top everything with cinnamon. Crumble the Streusel on top of everything and add another layer of cinnamon. Bake cake in preheated oven for around 40-45 minutes. Let the cake cool down before you cut it into pieces. Enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improving my recipes and serve you with best instructions, tips and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.