Sweet Breakfast Pizza - entirely plant-based, and sos free! A healthy homemade pizza dough topped with soft sweet potato, pear, blueberries, chopped pecans, and cinnamon. It is the perfect sweet-savory meal to start your day but makes a great lunch also. It is entirely vegan, refined sugar-free, oil-free, and salt-free!
💡 The recipe in a nutshell
- Vegan (eggless and dairy free)
- SOS free (refined sugar free, no oil, no salt)
- Whole Foods Plant-Based
- Healthy breakfast pizza
- Customizable - switch toppings for variation
- Fluffy, sweet and delicious
Whether you’re wanting something light and healthy or rich and decadent, feel free to swap the toppings! There are tons of options for you to suit all taste buds. Try topping the pizza with:
- Strawberries, sliced
- Mango, cubed or sliced
- Peaches, sliced
- Banana, sliced (or mashed as a sauce)
- Apples, cubed or sliced
- Kiwi, sliced
- Oat crumble
- Edible flowers (add after baking)
- Shredded coconut (add after baking)
- Fresh herbs, like mint or basil
- Vegan ice cream (after baking)
- Warm cherries, or homemade cherry compote
- Nut or seed butter of choice, for extra protein and healthy fats
- Some dark chocolate (look for keto chocolates, if you want sugar free)
- Drizzles of agave, Date syrup or Maple syrup
🍫 Indulgent Toppings (not SOS free)
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Vegan mini marshmallows
- Vegan chocolate sauce
- Pancake syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Speculoos Spread (homemade, or for example from Biscoff)
- Drizzles of caramel sauce
- Drizzles of vanilla or chocolate sauce
The pizza tastes best on the day it's baked, but keeps fresh in the fridge for one to two days in an air-tight container. Shortly re-warm day-old pizza in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up.
Sweet Breakfast Pizza (sos free)
For the Pizza Dough
- 120 g spelt flour (1 cup)
- 130 g all-purpose, or white whole wheat (1 cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon date sugar (or cane sugar) optional, works without also
- 240 ml lukewarm water (1 cup)
- If you're in a hurry: Use a store-bought crust, or any other pizza dough of your choice
- 1 small cooked and cubed sweet potato
- 1 cored and sliced pear
- 80 g blueberries (fresh, or frozen - both work) (½ cup)
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans if you have nut allergies, skip the nuts
- some date syrup*
- some ground cinnamon
Preparing the pizza dough (the night before):
- If you are using a store-bought crust skip this step and follow package instructions.In a medium bowl stir together flours, yeast, and sugar. With a spatula stir in warm water (120°F to 130°F) until combined. Knead with a spatula, or your electric mixer with the dough hook attached for 2 to 3 minutes. Cover and let rest overnight in the fridge for 8-10 hours.
- With a bench scraper divide the dough into four portions (make sure to flour your bench scraper beforehand, or it may stick to the dough). On a lightly floured surface, roll portions into 7- to 8-inch circles or15cmx10cm ovals (6x4 inch). Transfer flatbreads onto a floured baking tray (with parchment, or silicone mat). Let it rest for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Putting the sweet pizza together
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- If you haven’t yet, cube and cook sweet potato in water for approx. 10 minutes (until soft), and sliced pear. Brush all four flatbreads with date syrup. Spread sweet potato, pear slices, blueberries, and nuts onto the dough. Make sure not to over-pack your bread, so it has space to breathe and bake. Drizzle with cinnamon. Optional: You can also bake pizzas without toppings and top them afterwards. Baking dough without toppings takes around 10-13 minutes.
- Bake with toppings for around 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and set. Let cool just slightly. They taste amazing when still warm, but you don’t want it to be so hot that you burn your mouth! Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and drizzle with date syrup.
For more vegan breakfast ideas, browse our recipe page.
PS: Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment on your experience - this helps improve my recipes and serves you with the best instructions, tips, and substitution ideas. Plus, I love hearing about your takes on my recipes! Tag me on Instagram @thesimplesprinkle to show me your pictures.