Get ready to indulge in the ultimate delight of hot and crispy breaded Vegan Chicken Wings! Brace yourself for a finger-licking, crowd-pleasing treat that will leave everyone wanting more.
This post is supported by Wellington Crackers. A big thank you to the supporting brands that make The Simple Sprinkle possible! As always, all opinions shared are my own.
These wings are perfect for dipping, whether it's our tangy barbecue-flavored sauce or your favorite dip. We love this recipe because it is 100% vegan. Yep, that's right, no eggs or dairy lurking in here. These vegan chicken wings are made from scratch and perfect for your meal prep.
Whether you're a seasoned vegan or just curious to explore more plant-based options, these vegan chicken wings are here to satisfy your cravings! Give 'em a try and prepare to be wowed.
📋 Ingredients for Breaded Vegan Chicken Wings
Now, I know what you're thinking: "But Jacqui, don't vegan wings usually rely on vital wheat gluten or seitan?" Not this time, my friend! We've crafted a better-for-you version that skips those ingredients while still delivering that incredible texture and flavor you crave.
- extra firm tofu
- Wellington’s Traditional Crackers
- season salt
- garlic and onion powder
- black pepper
- plant-based milk of choice
- cooking spray or oil to coat or fry
- barbecue-flavored creamy dipping sauce (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
👩🏽🍳 How To Make Crispy Vegan Chicken Wings
Our breaded vegan chicken wings are super easy and fun to make! Here's your step-by-step guide to creating some mind-blowing vegan chicken wings that will leave everyone begging for more:
- Start by draining and pressing the tofu. For optimal results, we suggest popping it in your tofu press and leaving it to drain in the fridge overnight. If you don't have a tofu press handy, no worries! Simply sandwich the tofu between kitchen towels and place some heavy objects on top to give it a good squeeze.
- In a food processor or blender, process crackers until crumbly.
- Next up, it's time to set up your breading station. You'll need three bowls: one filled with cornstarch, another with plant-based milk, and the third one packed with crunchy shredded crackers that will give your wings that irresistible texture.
- Now, let's shape the tofu into wings! Feel free to get creative here. Using a knife you can either go for the classic wing shape, slice it into simple rectangles, or even tear it into nugget-like pieces. The choice is yours!
- It's coating time! Take each tofu piece and give it a generous roll in the cornstarch, then dunk it in the plant-based milk, and finally, roll it in those delicious cracker crumbs. Once coated to perfection, place your tofu wings on a prepared baking sheet.
- Now, you have two cooking options to achieve that coveted crispiness. If you're feeling indulgent, grab a pan, add a generous amount of oil, and fry those wings until they reach a glorious golden brown. Alternatively, if you're aiming for a lighter touch, give them a quick brush or spray of oil and pop them in either your oven or air-fryer. All the specific temperature and duration details can be found in the recipe card.
- It's the moment you've been waiting for! Grab your plate and get ready to savor these vegan chicken wings just the way you like them. Feel free to get creative with your serving ideas (we've got some tasty suggestions waiting for you below).
Are you looking for substitutions or quicker alternatives? We got you!
- Tofu - Not feeling the tofu vibes? No worries! Shake things up by trying seitan, textured vegetable protein, mushrooms, broccoli, or even cauliflower florets for a tasty twist.
- Wellington's Traditional Crackers - While these crackers provide a delightful crunch, you can substitute them with panko breadcrumbs, crushed tortilla chips, or even crushed cornflakes for a unique texture.
- Season salt - If you don't have season salt on hand, you can create your own blend using a combination of salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and any other herbs or spices you enjoy.
- Cornstarch - As an alternative to cornstarch, you can use arrowroot powder, tapioca starch, or potato starch.
- Black pepper: Feel free to experiment with different spices or seasonings to suit your taste preferences. Smoked paprika, black cumin, cayenne pepper, or a pinch of chili powder can add some extra heat and depth of flavor as well.
🍗 Serving Ideas For Vegan Chicken Wings
Hold on to your taste buds because we're about to dive into a world of fun serving ideas and mouthwatering recommendations for these epic breaded vegan chicken wings! Sure, they're fantastic on their own, but why settle for greatness when you can take it up a notch with these drool-worthy suggestions?
- Dip them into our creamy vegan dipping sauce.
- Serve with homemade vegan mozzarella sticks, and french fries, and load them up.
- Serve them with roasted or baked veggies! Such as potatoes, onion rings, or Brussels sprouts! Try our tangy roasted baby corn recipe.
- Enjoy the wings with a filling salad. Try our green salad with tofu feta, Coleslaw, this vegan southwest salad (Café Rio Copycat), or this super indulgent creamy taco pasta salad. Our German potato salad is a reader's favorite and goes incredibly well with these wings!
- Raw produce such as cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and celery.
- Another great serving idea is with your favorite choice of grain such as fried rice.
To make breaded vegan chicken wings you need a few helpful kitchen gadgets.
You will need three shallow bowls. These little amigos will be your breading station! Dip, coat, and roll your tofu wings in them.
If you are baking the wings a baking sheet will provide the perfect surface for your wings to crisp up and achieve golden perfection. Otherwise, you will need either a saucepan or an air-fryer to cook them up!
Squeeze out all the excess moisture from your tofu mess free with a tofu press. As already mentioned in our step-by-step guide, if you don't have a tofu press handy, sandwich the tofu between kitchen towels and place heavy objects on top.
Using a food processor to transform your crackers into crumbs is an easy and quick method. If you don't own a food processor grab a reusable silicone bag and your favorite heavy object (like a rolling pin or a sturdy bottle). Place your crackers inside the bag, seal it tight, and smash!
Alternatively, place your crackers in a clean kitchen towel or parchment paper and fold them over to cover them completely. Then, use a rolling pin or any heavy object to gently crush the crackers through the protective layer.
To store the cooked vegan chicken wings transfer them to an airtight container or a reusable bag. Place a sheet of parchment paper between the layers to prevent sticking. Seal the container or bag tightly.
Refrigerate: Store the wings in the fridge for up to four days. Keep in mind that the longer they are stored, the more the crispiness may diminish.
Reheating: To reheat the wings, you can either bake them in a preheated oven at around 350°F (175°C) until heated through or use an air fryer to crisp them up again. This will help restore some of the original texture.
Note: Keep in mind that their crispiness may not fully retain after storage and reheating. It's best to enjoy them fresh for optimal texture.
💡 Top tip
Include this wing recipe in your meal prep! Increase the quantities for a larger batch and follow the preparation steps until they are ready for baking.
Instead of frying or baking them right away, freeze the wings in freezer-safe bags or containers. When you're ready, bake or fry them for a convenient and delicious weeknight meal! Get inspired by the serving ideas listed above.
💭 Recipe FAQ
There is many variations of vegan chicken wings. Most store-bought vegan chicken wings are made of plant-based proteins such as soy, beans, legumes, etc. However, you can also make vegan chicken wings from scratch at home with tofu, mushrooms, broccoli or cauliflower. Using Seitan or TVP are other options and have the meatiest texture.
For our crispy vegan wing recipe, we are using tofu, because it’s not only widely available and affordable but contains all essential amino acids, making it a very healthy plant-based protein.
While our vegan chicken wings recipe is absolutely amazing, we totally understand the need for a quick and easy solution. Lucky for you, grocery stores these days are stocked with a delightful array of vegan meat alternatives.
So, if you're in the mood for convenience without compromising on taste, check out this brand list with our personal favorites:
- Like Meat
- Field Roast
- Jack & Annie‘s
- Morning Star
- Target’s Good & Gather
Yes, you could use gluten-free breadcrumbs, gluten-free crackers, crushed rice cereal, or even almond flour for a crispy, gluten-free coating.
The choice of cooking method ultimately depends on your personal preference and dietary considerations. Baking and air-frying are healthier alternatives with less oil while frying can provide a more indulgent and crispy texture. Experiment with different methods to find the one that best suits your taste and desired level of crispiness.
The secret to crispy breaded vegan wings is to ensure your tofu is well pressed and drained to remove excess moisture and coat it with a mixture of cornstarch, spices, and crackers. The crackers give it this extra crunch and texture you love! Baking or air-frying them at a high temperature will ensure they to get crispy on the outside. Additionally, flipping the tofu wings halfway through cooking can help achieve an even crispiness.
Crispy Vegan Chicken Wings
- Press tofu for a minimum of 1 hour, best overnight in your fridge.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the crackers until they become crumbly.
- Prepare three separate shallow bowls. In the first bowl, combine cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper, and mix them together. Pour the milk into the second small bowl. In the third bowl, add the cracker crumbs and seasoning salt, and gently toss to combine.
- Drain the pressed tofu. Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then cut it into 6 rectangular strips. Next, cut each strip diagonally in half, resulting in 12 pieces. Soften the edges with a paring knife of each piece to shape them into wing shapes as desired.
- Take each tofu wing and coat it in the starch mixture, ensuring all sides are covered. Dip the coated wing into the milk, and then transfer it to the bowl with the cracker crumbs, pressing gently to coat it thoroughly. Place the breaded tofu wings onto a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spray the coated tofu wings with cooking oil or lightly brush them with oil on all sides before baking or air-frying. Choose one of the following cooking methods: baking, air frying or frying.
- While the wings are baking or frying, you can prepare a dipping sauce or any other items you want to serve with the wings. Once the wings are cooked to a crispy texture, remove them from the oven, air fryer, or saucepan. Serve and enjoy!
- Preheat it to 400°F (200°C) and bake the wings for 30 minutes. Halfway through (after 15 minutes), remove the wings from the oven, flip them, and brush or spray them with oil once more. Return them to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until they become crisp.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Cook the wings for 15 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they turn golden and crispy.
Frying on stovetop
- If frying on the stovetop, heat fryer-safe oil in a saucepan to 350-375°F (175-190°C). Fry the wings until they become golden brown.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
For food safety see guidelines at USDA.gov.